Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
'85 GL1200
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just had a MAJOR accomplishment, and set back. I changed the stator and head gaskets in my bike (GL1200A 1985). Got the motor back in, and got the bike running. However, it is POURING gas out of one or both carbs on the left side of the bike. It seems to only start pouring out when it is running. I can’t tell where it is coming from. Not sure if it is bowl gasket or not. It is pooling on top of the engine. When I shut it off it stops.

Any thoughts? I did find a 5x10mm bolt on top of the engine block after I remounted the engine, and I am not sure where that came from, but it doesn’t look like anything from the carbs, but I”m not sure.

Also, I should add, I have never done any work on the carbs and I’ve had the bike for 13 years.

Any help on where to pinpoint this without burning my bike up? :) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'85 GL1200
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all,
I just had a MAJOR accomplishment, and set back. I changed the stator and head gaskets in my bike (GL1200A 1985). Got the motor back in, and got the bike running. However, it is POURING gas out of one or both carbs on the left side of the bike. It seems to only start pouring out when it is running. I can’t tell where it is coming from. Not sure if it is bowl gasket or not. It is pooling on top of the engine. When I shut it off it stops.

Any thoughts? I did find a 5x10mm bolt on top of the engine block after I remounted the engine, and I am not sure where that came from, but it doesn’t look like anything from the carbs, but I”m not sure.

Also, I should add, I have never done any work on the carbs and I’ve had the bike for 13 years.

Update: It looks like it is coming out of the tube the runs between the carbs. There is a portion of the tube pointing down. I think it is coming out of there.

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts

·
Premium Member
'85 GL1200
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
'85 GL1200
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

As a follow up to my gas leak for others, the float must’ve been stuck on one carb. After the bike sat for a few days, the leak stopped. The bike had sat for most of the summer, so I think the gas was out of the carbs and the float stuck. All good now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts