Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have ridden my new 1999 1500 over 3,000 mile so far this year and the gas light has never come on. Is it broke. I just rode it home hoping it would come on but it hasn't. I just stuck my sons plastic arrow in tank only thing i could find and it has about 1/2 in of gas in it. I will make it to gas station just wanted your opinion. I can never fit in more than 4.22 gallons let me know what to check

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi elvis i take it the guage works ok the first thing you need to findout is the bulb in the dash ok lift the seat also and make sure no conectors are off the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
64,600 Posts
imported post

At 4.22 you're not even close.. They hold a little more than 6 gallons.. Keep on going I'll bet it'll come on.. Mine fuel light doesn't come untill about 210 miles and then there's still about a gollon left...............

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If it is functioning properly, it won't come on until you have about a gallon left.(Well Below the red bar)

I was suspect about mine, even though the light lit up when the ignition was 1st turned on(it should light up for a few seconds and then go out).

Nomados and I went for a little ride down to Chelan, to meet up with Cousin Jack, Red and a couple of his riding buds. When I filled up, my bike took over 5.3 gallons and yet no warning light had come on. :?

After I got home, I decided to put a couple gallons in a Jerry can and put that in a saddlebag when I was getting low on fuel. I decided to ride it until either the low level light came on, or until it ran out of gas. I ran out at 397km/246mi.

Here's how you can check to see if it is functioning and if not, the part # to order a new sensor. ($35)

Dusty

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

light is set to come on when you have approximately 1 gallon of fuel left in the tank. It comes out exactly on mine. My gauge is below empty before the light comes on.

When you turn your key on before you start the bike, the light should come on

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for the input I will let you know how I make out

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, the light seems to be pretty accurate, mine comes on with almost exactly one gallon or approximately 40 miles of fuel left in the tank. I wish the gas guage was as accurate, it alway lies, the thing is very pessimistic which I suppose is the best way for it to be inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

If it is the same as the 94,it has a 6.2 gallon tank,it seems like mine comes on dim (with 1 gallon left in tank)and the further I run it the brighter the light gets,might just be me though.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Just to check the guage and light after I bought my '08, I carried a one gallon can of gas, and tried to run it empty.
The guage was way below "E", and I was at 260 miles on the odometer when I decided to go ahead and dump the extra gas in.
However, my warning light sometimes comes on intermittently very early.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

my petrol light works i found out tonight as i was going through the twisties to honest i never expected it to come on and i crapped my self as i thought it was the oil light and even pulled over and checked the dipstick then i checked the oil and it was ok but by this time i had conviced myself that it was the oil and it took my brain 10 min to register that it was fuel i then spent 10 min wondering how long it would take to run dry

wow i felt daft lucky no one was around to see my red face lol

·
Just one of the guys
4,814 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave,

Mine comes on when the needle is on the low end of the red mark at E, it will take a bit over 5 gallsons at that point. If you are putting 4 gallons at fill up you still have 1/3 of a tank left.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
At 4.22 you're not even close.. They hold a little more than 6 gallons.. Keep on going I'll bet it'll come on.. Mine fuel light doesn't come untill about 210 miles and then there's still about a gollon left...............
Yes that seems about right.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Most I ever put in my 1500 was 5.6 gallons. It felt like the red light had been on for hours, probably because it came on in Eastern Nevada on highway 50. The gas station I was banking on had closed. 256 miles when I filled it up, I had 0.7 gallons left in the tank.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
imported post

Exavid, that is a bad feeling. Can't imagine having that on the loneliest highway in America.

And thanks to akwright for the giggle. "daft lucky" will stay with me for a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.