Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Me and my dad always talk about gas mileage.how much does the 1500 get?

·
751 Posts
imported post

Cal my 96 gl1500 se gets anywhere from 22-43 mpg depending how you ride/how fast you go /if you ride 2 up /the best Ive ever gotten is 43 using marvel mystery oil !The worst is 22 we were riding in a 50-55 mph cross wind 2 up pulling a timeout camp trailer ! Craig

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
imported post

I am constantly in the mid to high 40`s, worst, 45, but more often48or 9, that is riding at about65 mph, some would say thats riding like an old lady, but at about8 /9$ per gall, fuelover hereis not cheap,

Changed the timing belts a week ago, so i have been riding at all speeds listening for anything different coming from that area, I did 223 miles on 4.8 galls. = 46.4 mpg,

and I know this is accurate as I fill the tank to an inch below the top of the neck every time.

we must also take into account the U.K. gall is slighty more than your U.S gall.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine has never seen as high as 40.
Used to be about 33 before the carbs were balanced and now it's closer to 38.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Checked mine a couple of weeks ago against my wife's 2000 Miata, she got 37 mpg & I got 42 MPG. :action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Seems 3000 rpms is the key to good/bad gas mileage on a 1500. Above 1500 it sucks gas faster than a Goldwinger sucking on a straw at is favorite malt shop.lol!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

mine averages around 34-38 in town. On the road pushes up to 40 or so if no cross/head winds. Always two up on the road.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Typically, I seem to get 35 - 40 around town or when being sporty on my '98 1500. I've gotten as high as 50 doing a steady 60 on the freeway. When I calculated it, I did a double take as I couldn't believe it.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the information on gas mileage. I guess anytime you are getting 40 mpg things are pretty good!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Rudy, maybe you ride harder/ faster than the guy`s getting higher mpg. the 3000 revs. thing seems to play a big part in this issue,

Whats your opinion?

·
Gimpy
111 Posts
imported post

My wife and I rode with another couple yesterday 166 mile round trip and got 38 MPG riding 2 up. The first 67 miles were on FWY @ 65 - 75 MPH. Then we ha about 50 miles of back roads and twisty turns. Then back home on the FWY with approx 45 minutes of bumper to bumper stop and go. We had a great day.

Our vacation trip to Oregon 2800 mile round trip we never got less than 33 and one time got 45 MPG.

Gimpy

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

maybe you can tell me. 1st. time to check. rode 135 miles, put in 3.5 gallons

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

135/3.5 = 38.57143... mpg. DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY !

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Hey man, I've "tried" to follow you :action::action::action::action:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Bondy wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Rudy, maybe you ride harder/ faster than the guy`s getting higher mpg. the 3000 revs. thing seems to play a big part in this issue,

Whats your opinion?
I agree that the 3000 RPM mark makes a big difference. I rarely run above that.
I believe that my weight, the well loaded CompuFire alt and a tendency to give it a bit more on takeoff just to feel the Gs is a big set of factors. When you add Mrs.Rudy to the mix it doesn't get any better. But I'm pretty much a cruising mail box reader but sometimes out on the main highways, you have to give it more just to stay safe in the traffic holes or to get ahead of this one thing you don't want to follow, or to speed up to get around something so you can let the guy behind you go by.
Interstate driving in the bigger cities does not allow you to choose how you go sometimes.

I also believe that I don't have my carbs and vacuum lines in the optimal.

It would be nice to say that I run in the mid 40's but that would go away quickly anyway once I put the trailer on.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Hey man, I've "tried" to follow you :action::action::action::action:
That was just the curves and the U turns throwing you off. :cheeky1:

You only tried to keep up because I had your tires on the back of the trailer.
You should add the aluminum rocket launchers and the coffin and see how that helps. :cooldevil:

We really should do a lot more of that together this summer. I've got some tires we could use.

·
751 Posts
imported post

gl On mine I came back from a trip to south Dakoda & In wyoming we had 50-55 mile & hour winds & my fuel econmy was down 2 like 22 mpg that was 2 up & pulling a 350-450 lbs camptrailer filled up this morning & I was at 37 mpg that was in town also so I say 22-43 but depends how you ride it !96 gl1500 se 87,000 miles on the clock

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.