Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I just got back from a week on the road with the 90 GL1500. Considering it rained for a month before the trip I was never able to take this wing for a test ride before the trip. Well, for the most part the bike ran great. This was an 8 day trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway from Front Royal, Va to Cherokee, NC then into the smokey mountains. Rode 129, Cherahala, Rt 28 ..etc. I've been on this trip before but that was on a concours and an ST1100.

First issue: Gas Mileage. I was getting 30-35 mpg. Now I know this is a big bike with a big engine but I think my mileage should be a bit more. What could be the biggest contributor to this? Spark Plugs? Carbs?

Second Issue: While on the BRP I hit a HUGE bump. The bike shut off. Turns out it knocked loose the ignition Relay. Any way to make sure this doesn't happen again.

3rd Issue: F'ing parts falling off the bike. I had a bolt from the front skirt (under the faiing) come out and also lost the bolts of the rear center brake light. I stopped to find the brake light just hanging there. Locktite is going on new bolts.

Funny anedote: While on the Dragon (rt 129 in NC/TN) I found that after the peg feeler hits my air horns are next :p. Good thing there are no roads like that u p here in New England (other than a few in Vt.)

Steve in Revere, Ma

90 GL1500

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve, hard riding can see the fuel guzzled at the rate you describe. Normal riding will see as low as 32 or thereabouts in the city traffic, up to 45-48 on long runs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

On my recent trip of 3400 miles I averaged 40.1mpg for the entire trip. The route included sea level and high altitudes, desert and mountain, hot and cold (+wet) weather with around 1000 miles of it70-75 mph. Riding one up, no trailer andone leg of 246 miles taking it very easy on the last 100 miles due to no gas station. BTW still had 0.7 gallons in the tank when I filled up. I ran 100 miles at 50 mph trying to stretch out the fuel. Expected to fuel up at a crossroads but when we got there the station had closed the previous year. Moral... don't pass up fuel on the desert when you're down to half a tank!

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I know I can guzzle gas doing twisty runs in 2nd gear. That doesn't concern me :cool:

Its the 33-35 mpg going 70-75 on the highway that bothers me. I know its a big engine but I would like to figure out how to get it at 40 mpg on the highway. Heck most of those highway miles were with the cruise on.

Also going 45 mph on the BRP I was getting low 30's. I wasn't being aggressive at all I was just cruising down the BRP.

steve

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

Worry when it's like my 88 1500 before I rebuilt the carbs 20 mpg or less

no matter what speed.Turned out to be worn out needle jets

Now get about 41 mpg.

But still setting up the pilot screws.

·
Fretmeister
2 Posts
imported post

Steve,

I really didn't see an answer to your bike's ignitioin shutting off when you hit a bump.

I've got a 92 and it happens to me a lot. Seems like it happens more when I've got the sidecar on and it's empty. It will happen w/o the sidecar too, it just takes a bigger bump. Popping the clutch does nothing. Shutting off and turning on the key does it every time.

Did you ever come up with a solution. Not only is it a bit dangerous, it's also slightly embarrassing.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I get around 35 most of the time. It's still better than the 10mpg my F250 gets and way more fun.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

This is about engine cutting out over bumps and might not be directly relevant 'cos I'm no techie.

Had a 1992 1500; driving up a motorway access sliproad with a very slight curve, a road I have used many times; surface slightly damp, bike leaning a little to the left, moderate acceleration. I think I hit a patch of diesel, because suddenly the back wheel slid to the right; corrected it and got into a horrendous wobble right through the bike; handle-bars jerking from side-to-side like a bitch.

I managed to get my act back together without me and the bike parting company, still upright and moving at about 20mph. But the engine had cut out. Tried restart by letting clutch in while in gear -nothing. Found neutral, tried starter -nothing. Pulled onto hard shoulder without mishap. Switched off ignition then on again; started no problem.

A techie friend says the 1500 (don't know about others) has a (I think) Bank Angle Sensor which is intended to cut all electrics if bike goes down the road on its side or sustains some other violent, abnormal force which knocks it out of shape. He said the sensor could be brought into action simply by standing astride your bike with the engine running and then vigorously waggling the handlebars side to side. I tried it - he is right!:shakehead:

I have no idea where the sensor lives or whether it is adjustable for relative sensitivity.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Your bike cutting out on bumps sounds like a bad bank angle sensor. They were recalled because of this, and even though you might not be the original owner Honda might still pay for a new one.

Your gas mileage might be related to tired carbs in need of some attention, but it could be other things like dragging brakes.

Gas mileage on these bikes is also very sensitive toriding style.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

30-35 is not that uncommon in higher speed or spirited riding,

Freeway riding at 75 should average around 40 MPG.

The first thing to check for is vacuum leaks. The 1500's have a pile of vacuum hoses under the fairing, under the fairing is hot, heat makes the hoses brittle, hoses crack, fall off etc.

Pull the plastic and start replacing hoses, be carefull, one at a time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.