Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. With the help of these forums I got to hear her start up today. Thanks cause. Your info helped so much.
I still have one problem. I'm getting gas built up in the middle where the 4 carbs connect right below the air filter mount inside. I know this can't be right. The exhaust is currently off so I was able to notice some gas falling out of the #1 cylinder... I've made the assumption that the float is stuck open and the bowl over fills itself. When I rebuilt the Carb it was a little difficult pulling out the pin that holds the float.... I'm sure its bent not allowing the float to perform properly... I attempted to straighten it out before but had little success. Any ideas anyone? I'm short on money so this could be an issue. Also in the same Carb I fabricated a bracket that holds the jets in from the bottom of the bowl. Could this be my problem. I wouldn't think so because its almost identical and applies pressure while the blow is attached to both jets just as original does.
Any help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've decided to give a better description after looking further into the problem after checking the #1 float. Now I'm not getting any fuel build up in the cylinder but a nice little puddle into the Plenum. While the bike is running I can watch and I'm thinking not until the floats are sealed that the gas pours in from the front side of the Plenum. I only ran the bike until I noticed the gas pouring in. Possible some gas gets into the cylinder but I was worried with the gas in the Plenum. Plus the bike muffels a little when the gas enters the Plenum. I recently checked the floats no way its sticking.
I want to take the carbs off and dismantle the Plenum but I'd like to hear some possibilities if u have one... thanks

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Someone , somewhere posted a useful tip. Get everything really dry in the plenum. Cut a piece of newspaper and line the bottom of the plenum with it. Turn the gas on and watch where it starts to show. It should take a few minutes. You can do this off the bike using six feet of tubing and a small reserve of gas suspended above the rack. If the leak is right along the plenum dividing line, it's the plenum gasket, or the halves aren't closing properly. If it is one of the floats not closing, it will show up nearest the offending carb. It's hard to see the seeping gas without the paper in there. Just one thickness is all you need. I may as well add this, if you rebuilt your carbs with and aftermarket kit and used their floats and seats, they are notorious for not sealing properly. OEM Hondas are the way to go. They are not cheap.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Someone , somewhere posted a useful tip. Get everything really dry in the plenum. Cut a piece of newspaper and line the bottom of the plenum with it. Turn the gas on and watch where it starts to show. It should take a few minutes. You can do this off the bike using six feet of tubing and a small reserve of gas suspended above the rack. If the leak is right along the plenum dividing line, it's the plenum gasket, or the halves aren't closing properly. If it is one of the floats not closing, it will show up nearest the offending carb. It's hard to see the seeping gas without the paper in there. Just one thickness is all you need. I may as well add this, if you rebuilt your carbs with and aftermarket kit and used their floats and seats, they are notorious for not sealing properly. OEM Hondas are the way to go. They are not cheap.
That is a very good tip and is what I used to diagnose the leaking carb on my '78. I had the same symptoms of fuel filling the chamber that was caused by a couple of different factors (on three different carbs).

1. The float valve was defective on one carb (replaced with OEM from Western Honda).

2. The float pin on another carb was bent) and I replaced it with OEM.

3. All floats needed to be adjusted to the correct height on all carbs.

4. I bought Randakks carb rebuild kit and replaced all of the seals, gaskets, etc. You mentioned that you were short of cash, so this may not be a viable option at this time.

5. Make sure that the bracket you fabricated for the jets isn't restricting the movement of the float. You shouldn't need a bracket to keep the jets in.

6. The Naked Goldwing website is an excellent resource for GL1000's.

Good luck with the rebuild. Like all Wings, the GL1000's are great bikes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. Thanks for the great info. Today i decided to take off the carbs and check out the Plenum gasket. I'm so happy I did. Stupid gasket was dirty and had crud built up around the fuel lines. When I rebuilt the carbs 2 weeks ago I was worried about doing It myself. So I asked the old owner and he told me not to worry about splitting the Plenum that very rarely does this have problems. So I went on with the build and installed it... several times I removed those carbs because the gas build up. I adjusted floats and checked the pins. All this time it was that darn gasket. Well the Carb removal issue now etched into my brain for life. The bike started up and no gas. It sounded good too. I know the carbs are going to need tuning though. Currently the bike sitting as just the frame motor and forks. Next I'm gonna throw that back tire on and the cosmetics. Ill record a video and take pictures to show the status of the bike. I only wanted to hear it run before I started making her look pretty. Again thanks everyone.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
gl1000 plenum seal is 3 orings tied together with a rubber string to seal the case. you can take a razor blade, and seperate the sections of line from the orings. Then replace the orings from the auto store for pennies.

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
gl1000 plenum seal is 3 orings tied together with a rubber string to seal the case. you can take a razor blade, and seperate the sections of line from the orings. Then replace the orings from the auto store for pennies.

Darn good tip. :claps:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I bead the o-ring area with RTV, doing away with the "o-ring" altogether.
Works fine for me.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Maybe someone has had this problem i have been rebuilding goldwings for some time of course on my own bike i have a carb problem and cant seem to nail it down when just starting to take off even after warm up i get a little hesitation or if you are turning into a street and in second low RPM when try to get a little power it hesitates

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
i beleive this is the infamous mid range bog, cured by the needle shimming fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.