Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Watching the news lately it seems that the gas prices are going through the roof. Yeah, compared to European prices we don't pay very much, but Americans are suffering from sticker-shock all the same. We're just not used to it. Here in Ashland, Oregonits hovering about $3 a gallon for regular andthat seems like a lot. And some people are talking about $3.50 within a week. Hmm.

Withthe Diamond Lake Labor Day weekend trip coming up I went ahead and did some math. I figure that while we're up there, in the course of three days we'll probably ride 500 to 700 miles.

If our bikes get 40 miles per gallon and we ride 700 miles, we'll use about 17.5 gallons. At $3 a gallon that comes out to $52.50 for three days of riding. At $3.50 it goes up to $61.25. Not too bad if you ask me... hell, a nice meal at a restaurant costs that much!

If we only ride 500 miles at 3 bucks a gallon it comes out to $37.50.

Conclusion... for three days of some of the greatest riding in America, we're getting by dirt-cheap. Even with today's gas prices these wonderful machines of ours are still a bargain for the amount of enjoyment they deliver.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

I know that we're spolied here in the states, but I never was real fond of Math. With the higher prices of petrolium productsgoing higher every day, I find myself liking it a lot less... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Shooter wrote:
I know that we're spolied here in the states, but I never was real fond of Math. With the higher prices of petrolium productsgoing higher every day, I find myself liking it a lot less... :gunhead:
Yeah, but it puts it in perspective.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Even with our fuel at almost twice yours, it is still worth the pleasure, and it beats a cage for economy. We are off to Blackpool this weekend for the gathering there, the fuel will be a big part of the expence, but hey, the enjoyment factor should outweigh the cost. I'll let you know what the bank manager says about that later!!:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

The gas prices are not what bothers me as much as how the gas prices are raised by the corporations. For example with the latest hurricane, the oil flow has been disrupted sadely along with people`s lives in the effected area. Now the gas prices have increased here 30 cents a litre onlyone full dayafter the hurricane. The gas we are getting out of the pumps is from the "old supply" before the hurricane. Same goes for fluctuations in the price per barrel on a daily basis. It does not take them long to increase the price, but when it comes to lowering the price, that is another story. Any reason to make more money. Speaking of the price per barrel. Before the Iraq war price per barrel was $20 plus and today what, it is $70 plus. Whats up with that? Today here, $1.35 per litre.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

jj wrote:
The gas prices are not what bothers me as much as how the gas prices are raised by the corporations. For example with the latest hurricane, the oil flow has been disrupted sadely along with people`s lives in the effected area. Now the gas prices have increased here 30 cents a litre onlyone full dayafter the hurricane. The gas we are getting out of the pumps is from the "old supply" before the hurricane. Same goes for fluctuations in the price per barrel on a daily basis. It does not take them long to increase the price, but when it comes to lowering the price, that is another story. Any reason to make more money. Speaking of the price per barrel. Before the Iraq war price per barrel was $20 plus and today what, it is $70 plus. Whats up with that? Today here, $1.35 per litre.
That reminds me of in the military living overseas. When the exchange rate favored the local currency the military raised our cost of living allowance to compensate. Only problem was that it tooka long timeto raise the rate, but the rate would go back down instantly when the exchange rate favored the dollar again.

I figure that I lost thousands of dollars that way in the 11 years that I was stationed overseas.

I made the same comment that you made about the gas prices to my wife the day before yesterday. Price gouging as far as I'm concerned. However, it does keep more SUVs off the road! Maybe its my imagination, but I seem to see morecars on the road now than SUVs.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I sure am glad that I have the wing to ride. With the rise in gas prices, natural gas, health insurance, etc., I am netting out much lower than I was last year and the year before. Thats even allowing for the cost of living raises at work.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

As Silverfox says, we are paying nearly £1 per litre now. So think yourselves lucky in the US.

Silverfox, see you in Blackpool

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hey Geordiemuppet, that has got to be one of the funniest names/ handles, this side of the pond, made me laugh out loud, especially as one of my best mates was a Geordie many years ago.

Have you got any noticable features to set you aside from the others, like a pink wing or woooden leg? I will be on a pearl saphire blue 1500, If the sun is shining, you will recognise it, if not, it will be one of the black ones.:goofygrin: Helen the Viking, will not be sporting her horns, but she says we are strapping "Eyore" on somewhere. :baffled:I am hoping that is a reference to a soft toy!!!:shock:

Maybe once we stop, you might spot me, I am the one with the golden grey locks and glasses, which I proudly have string dangling off. to stop them falling off. The familly take the micky out of me for the string, but at least I know where my glasses are!!:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Hey Geordiemuppet, that has got to be one of the funniest names/ handles, this side of the pond, made me laugh out loud, especially as one of my best mates was a Geordie many years ago.

Have you got any noticable features to set you aside from the others, like a pink wing or woooden leg? I will be on a pearl saphire blue 1500, If the sun is shining, you will recognise it, if not, it will be one of the black ones.:goofygrin: Helen the Viking, will not be sporting her horns, but she says we are strapping "Eyore" on somewhere. :baffled:I am hoping that is a reference to a soft toy!!!:shock:

Maybe once we stop, you might spot me, I am the one with the golden grey locks and glasses, which I proudly have string dangling off. to stop them falling off. The familly take the micky out of me for the string, but at least I know where my glasses are!!:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete
Hey Foxy - you forgot to mention the 'deer disguise' :doh:

don't tell us you are not going to take/wear it and continue with the invaluable research :stumped:

Have a GREAT time :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I shall of couse be working undercover at Blackpool, thus I feel the deer outfit would be inappropriate, I rather doubt we will be mingling with herds of the little blighters.:baffled:

If the meeting were in the New Forest, that might be a little different, I could probably be mistaken for one of the fallow deer, if in uniform.

However, I may well pack some spam sandwiches, and maybe even a raw higgis or two to chew on the way. :barfer:

Are you not able to attend Wannabe? Shurely, He who should be obeyed will run you up there and enjoy the festivities with us:baffled:I think you should give him a good kick and talk him into a Wing:whip:

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
I shall of couse be working undercover at Blackpool, thus I feel the deer outfit would be inappropriate, I rather doubt we will be mingling with herds of the little blighters.:baffled:

If the meeting were in the New Forest, that might be a little different, I could probably be mistaken for one of the fallow deer, if in uniform.

However, I may well pack some spam sandwiches, and maybe even a raw higgis or two to chew on the way. :barfer:

Are you not able to attend Wannabe? Shurely, He who should be obeyed will run you up there and enjoy the festivities with us:baffled:I think you should give him a good kick and talk him into a Wing:whip:

Pete
unfortunately not - he who would like to be obeyed will not play ball - also impending grandmotherhood dictates I should stay in sunny Cornwall - know where I'd rather be though :toast::band:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I have yet to understand how a filling station can raise and lower its prices like they do.

My family used to own a filling station for several years. When we called the Supply House and requested a tanker of fuel, and the fuel was delivered, we paid for it.

Say our pumps were set at $1.00 per gallon. If the gas we just purchased was higher than the previous tanker, we raised the price. If it was lower, we lowered the price. Our price never changed unless the price we paid changed.

I have seen fuel prices at a local filling station change 4 times in one day. (I was working 2nd shift in this example)

I went out to run errands early one morning and the gas price was$1.499 per gallon.

I left to go to work at 2 pm that day and the price was 1.599 per gallon.

I came home at for lunchat 7:30 pmand the price was $1.549 per gallon.

When I cam home that night at 11:30 pm the gas price was $1.659 :baffled:

How in the hell can the gas price fluctuate that much in that short of time? Does not anyone see a problem with this. How can that gas in their underground tanks change price? They did not pay any more or less for it so why should we pay more or less for it? That price should only change if their supply price changes. It seems to me that if they hear oil goes up, they immediately run out and raise their prices. :stumped:

And I agree, how come gas prices never fall as fast as they rise. They jack the price $0.10, $0.15 and $0.20 at a time but it only goes down by $0.01 at a whack. :baffled:

BTW Prices today are $3.069 per gallon.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

:baffled::baffled:$3.19 HERE THIS EVENING IN WESTERN PA.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

It was $3.49 here in Charlotte, N.C. and some places had lines or were out of gas!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I think that the $5.xx plusper gallon prices that they keep showing on t.v. is nothing more than cases of price gouging.

I think that anyone who price gouges needs to do a good long spell in prison and pay such high fines that they will never be in a position to price gouge again.

Bastards! :2finger: :gunner2::321: :gunner:

Sorry, just a little hostility that I needed to let out! :grinner: :goofygrin:

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:

Pete

Pete,

"Geordie" obviously from a superior part of the planet:cool:"Muppet" a term of respect used to refer to that highly skilled branch of the Royal Navy otherwise known as the MineWarefare branch (or tupperware task force because our minehunters are made of GRP so as to be non magnetic).

I will be riding a red 18, she who must be obeyed with be riding an identical red 18 California Trike. We are booked into Pontins, so see you there.

Paul

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Geordiemuppet wrote:
Pete

Pete,

"Geordie" obviously from a superior part of the planet:cool:"Muppet" a term of respect used to refer to that highly skilled branch of the Royal Navy otherwise known as the MineWarefare branch (or tupperware task force because our minehunters are made of GRP so as to be non magnetic).

I will be riding a red 18, she who must be obeyed with be riding an identical red 18 California Trike. We are booked into Pontins, so see you there.

Paul
I take a well deserved slap round the face with a wet fish, I should have known, since I am an ex-Jack Dusty!!!! I have forgotten many of the terms after all these years ( left in '79 ) The mate I refered to was a Dusty too and we went through Pembroke and down to Culdrose for a stint.

Well I shall watch out for you and perhaps pull up a bollard andswing the chandellier. Just one point.... Highly skilled!!!!!?

Pete

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
I take a well deserved slap round the face with a wet fish, I should have known, since I am an ex-Jack Dusty!!!! I have forgotten many of the terms after all these years ( left in '79 ) The mate I refered to was a Dusty too and we went through Pembroke and down to Culdrose for a stint.

Well I shall watch out for you and perhaps pull up a bollard andswing the chandellier. Just one point.... Highly skilled!!!!!?

Pete
Yep, Highly skilled. My prowess at minesweeping is known from the Victory Club to Whaley's tothe Texas Barto the Three Horse Shoes to the George & Dragon. My claim to fame is that I was once barred from the Seaman's Mission in Milford Haven, can't remember what I did, but it must have been impressive:shock:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Saw something with the gas prices today and wanted to share it with everyone.

Yesterday evening (10:30 pm) our gas prices were $3.099 per gallon.

I went to my Aunt's house today. She lives in the Northend of town and I live in the South end of town.I left my house at about 10:30 am and every filling station thatI saw was at $3.199per gallon. I was at her house helping with some repairs and when I left there at 6:00 pm, all the filling stations were back down to $3.099 per gallon.

[align=center]:baffled: :stumped: :baffled:[/align]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.