Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, this the first problem I've had in a while. My newly rebuilt GL1100 carbs have been working great. However, I've developed a fuel seep which looks like it's coming from the accelerator pump. The pump diaphram , o-ring and boot are new. After looking closer, as I rotate the throttle, the seep comes from the top of the pump housing where the rod sticks through. The #3 spark plug is free of soot, so no rich condition.

My question is about the pump. Which side of the diaphram is the fuel on?:baffled: I thought it was only on the bottom, which would stump me as to why fuel is leaking from the top:headbanger:. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice on this matter. You guys have been a big help in the past.:smiler:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

cardkev wrote:
Well, this the first problem I've had in a while. My newly rebuilt GL1100 carbs have been working great. However, I've developed a fuel seep which looks like it's coming from the accelerator pump. The pump diaphram , o-ring and boot are new. After looking closer, as I rotate the throttle, the seep comes from the top of the pump housing where the rod sticks through. The #3 spark plug is free of soot, so no rich condition.

My question is about the pump. Which side of the diaphram is the fuel on?:baffled: I thought it was only on the bottom, which would stump me as to why fuel is leaking from the top:headbanger:. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice on this matter. You guys have been a big help in the past.:smiler:
Cardkev, there should only be fuel on one side of that pump diaphragm.. The rod side should be dry.. If fuel on the rod side you could have a seeping diaphragm or porous diaphragm..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I was afraid of that. It's all brand new stuff. I can't understand why it would leak. I guess I'll order another one. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

cardkev, I have the same problem. I have had my carbs off twice today and there is still a small leak at the accelerator pump. Like yours, mine is a new pump kit. I'm going to check it again in the morning. I think it is a problem with the O ring. Mine is also an 1100A. Let's keep each other posted on the outcome.. Jim '83 Aspy.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Old Gold wrote:
cardkev, I have the same problem. I have had my carbs off twice today and there is still a small leak at the accelerator pump. Like yours, mine is a new pump kit. I'm going to check it again in the morning. I think it is a problem with the O ring. Mine is also an 1100A. Let's keep each other posted on the outcome.. Jim '83 Aspy.
Sounds good, I might not get to mine until the weekend. I'm going to order a new pump, takes just a few days to get.

Are you talking about the o-ring located between the bowl and carb? I was looking at that, but with the carbs on the bike it's very difficult to pinpoint where the leak is coming from. I don't want to pull mine until I get a new kit. What have you tried so far to stop the leak?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

I took mine to a small shop here in town (trying to save a few bucks) and he put the one O-ring in the wrong place. I figured he had them squared away , so I put them on without checking.(Dumb move) They leaked----I took them off again ----pulled the bowl and found his mistake then made another mistake of my own. I tried to use a slightly pinched O-ring. It still leaks but not nearly as bad. When you pull the float bowl you will see a fuel port right beside thi pump rod , that is the O-ring that will give you problems. Mine runs much stronger with the new pump kit, but I gotta pull them again. Don't want any raw gas that close to the exhaust. Later Jim '83 Aspy

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Old Gold wrote:
I took mine to a small shop here in town (trying to save a few bucks) and he put the one O-ring in the wrong place. I figured he had them squared away , so I put them on without checking.(Dumb move) They leaked----I took them off again ----pulled the bowl and found his mistake then made another mistake of my own. I tried to use a slightly pinched O-ring. It still leaks but not nearly as bad. When you pull the float bowl you will see a fuel port right beside thi pump rod , that is the O-ring that will give you problems. Mine runs much stronger with the new pump kit, but I gotta pull them again. Don't want any raw gas that close to the exhaust. Later Jim '83 Aspy
Old Gold, I know which o-ring you're talking about now. I almost put mine in the wrong place when I re-assembled. I know I put it in there. It must be pinched or defective. Luckily I have a few extra because I ordered 4 new complete Honda seal kits for my carbs when I rebuilt them and I used the one that came with the accel pump kit. If you like I can sendyou one of my extras.

By the way, was your Accel pump kit made by K&L? If so, maybe they are packing the wrong size o-ring in their kits.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

Yes mine was a K&l. I think it was the right size, but I just tried to reuse it after he had mis used it. I appreciate your offer but I think I can pick one up here. If not I will contact you. I'm being lazy today and haven't even said good morning to the Aspy yet (that's another thread). Any way, I'll keep you informed.. Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

:X Just for information. I am really learning since I have had THIS Wing, but evidently not fast enough. I bought O-rings for the Intake Manifolds from Mother Honda. $15.00 for 4. Today I was at Ace Hardware and saw the same ones for $0.35 each...I even bought one just to compare. EXACT......... They have an outstanding variety of sizes etc. I guess I should have asked around, but now I understand why the Honda folks are so happy when I go in there.... :gunhead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.