Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HiI am back in country now and went to use my 1983 1100 gold wing and it ran excellent.

But I now notice that the fuel gagewill goall the way to full and will not move.

Is they any way that this sender can be tested.

Thank you

Joe.:(

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

The best I remember you can pull it out. Take a ohm meter and move the float up and down. Sounds like yours may be grounded out somehow. I had to replace the one in my 81 a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

How about updating your profile to indicate you lacation in this world. You may have a member near enough to give a hand sometime or go riding with.

Check the voltage going into and coming out of the 7 volt regulator. 12 volt in, 7 volt out to the guages.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes the temp gage works OK.

The manual I have has no information on how to trouble shoot this or how to take it out of the gas tank.:stumped:

Thank you for all the information , and I will up date my history.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Take the seat off and you'll see the sender unit mounted in the top of the gas tank. Check the 2 connections, The unit is secured with a metal lock ring that's fairly easy to remove with a hammer and blunt edged punch or screw driver.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

What does your temp guage do? Does it peg also? If it does, then the 7 volt regulator has gone bad. If it doesn't the above info is a good way to proceed.

Regards,

Hobi3e

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Remove the seat and disconnect the fuel level sensor that's right on top of the tank. If your gauges stays at full, chase the wire out from the sensor to the meter to make sure it's not shorted to ground. If the meter does go to empty when you remove the wire pull the sensor out and check it with an ohm meter as already mentioned. You should see a resistance (on the low resistance scale) change smoothly from 0 ohms with the float arm all the way up to around 10 or so ohms when the arm is down. I don't remember the exact resistance but it was in that neighborhood. If the sensor stays at a 0 ohm reading it's got a problem. You may be able to fix it, if not you'll have to replace the sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.