Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

on my wing i get down to empty and it takes 3 gallons to fill it to full.. im sure its a 4 gallon tank?? i think with a .5 or so gallon reserve tank the guage works fine from full to about 1/2 tank after that it almost drops off i think the float may have a bad spot on it and probably need replaced i checked it with my voltmeter and it tests fine anywhere above 1/2 then the voltage gets all funky im sure its bad



my question is what is the capacity of the standard interstate modle i get around 140 miles and it reads empty just curious on the capacity and if there is a way to get a larger tank to install for longer trips other than storing a couple extra gallons on the back?





thanks



big a
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,888 Posts
imported post

The sending unit is bad by what you posted. Might try finding one on ebay. You should get 175 miles or so before switching to reserve with average gas mileage. I always get acquainted with my vehicles so I know by miles how much it will hold when I fill up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
my question is what is the capacity of the standard interstate modle i get around 140 miles and it reads empty just curious on the capacity and if there is a way to get a larger tank to install for longer trips other than storing a couple extra gallons on the back?
4 gal (on) 1.3 gal (res) .... run it from full until it starts stuttering, then switch to reserve. Should be 180-200 miles before needing (res)



The gauges were just to give you an idea as to how much you had left. Using the trip meter was by far more reliable as to how much fuel you have left..... at least on our two 80s.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete is correct. My 1980-1983 Honda Service shows:
Fuel capacity: 5.3 US Gallons total
Fuel Reserve: 1.1 US Gallon
At 40 mpg you should be able to go around 168 miles, then on reserve another 44 miles.
3 gallons for 140 miles = 46.6 mpg or 195 miles to reserve level.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,328 Posts
imported post

What they all said is correct.

BUT if you take the fuel sender unit out of the tank you can bend the float arm. I suggest you run it until it starts to sputter..IE it's at the reserve level..shift to reserve..go home put the bike on level ground, remove the seat and loosen the sending unit..now put a block of wood under the side stand to get the bike straight up..be careful it doesn't fall over to the right. Then remove the sending unit, bend the float arm until it reads on the gauge just above reserve.. make take a few tries..of putting the unit in and out of tank with the key on..take out the headlight fuse so you don't drain your battery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

thanks to everyones help
i really just needed to know how many gallons are in the tank from what ive rode its about a gallon per 1/4 tank or so i never run it below a 1/4 tank ive ran out of gas before and found out i was on the RESERVE stupid me felt like a scene out of wild hogs movie walked with the bike for almost a mile heavy sombiatch
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
599 Posts
imported post

I carried a small container of gas, while traveling level I ran out, went on reserve and got 39 miles of my city driving before it stopped dead. Now I know exactly what to expect.

I did the same on my other three bikes. Of course everyone was close with their opinions, but I know for sure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
185 Posts
imported post

Pulling this out out from a while back. I filled my tank last night just to the base of the filler neck. I drove to work and went for a ride at lunch today. I hit about 82 miles and the bike started to sputter. Switched to res and it continued to a gas station. I filled it back to the same place in the neck and it took 2.1 gallons. When it was sputtering the gauge was just on the right edge of RES indicator. The gas mileage is decent but the range is severely limited in the ON position. What could cause this. Fuel pump?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
imported post

Clean the contacts on that fuel sender unit with some fine sandpaper or whatever!



Mine holds a little over 4 gallons with reserve fuel in the tank.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,888 Posts
imported post

drones76 wrote:
Pulling this out out from a while back. I filled my tank last night just to the base of the filler neck. I drove to work and went for a ride at lunch today. I hit about 82 miles and the bike started to sputter. Switched to res and it continued to a gas station. I filled it back to the same place in the neck and it took 2.1 gallons. When it was sputtering the gauge was just on the right edge of RES indicator. The gas mileage is decent but the range is severely limited in the ON position. What could cause this. Fuel pump?
You probably have a hole rusted in the main pickup tube so it starts sucking air at 2 gallons down. The gauge seems to be out of whack also and I might not be the best guy to ask about that. The gauge is off on my 82 and I have changed the gauge along with the 7v regulator and the sender and it is still crazy. Drops real fast from 3/4 to 1/4. I know all my wiring is good, I did it. Guage worked fine on the bike I swapped the parts from. I think I'll just live with it instead of worrying about it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
185 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
drones76 wrote:
Pulling this out out from a while back. I filled my tank last night just to the base of the filler neck. I drove to work and went for a ride at lunch today. I hit about 82 miles and the bike started to sputter. Switched to res and it continued to a gas station. I filled it back to the same place in the neck and it took 2.1 gallons. When it was sputtering the gauge was just on the right edge of RES indicator. The gas mileage is decent but the range is severely limited in the ON position. What could cause this. Fuel pump?
You probably have a hole rusted in the main pickup tube so it starts sucking air at 2 gallons down. The gauge seems to be out of whack also and I might not be the best guy to ask about that. The gauge is off on my 82 and I have changed the gauge along with the 7v regulator and the sender and it is still crazy. Drops real fast from 3/4 to 1/4. I know all my wiring is good, I did it. Guage worked fine on the bike I swapped the parts from. I think I'll just live with it instead of worrying about it.
Good call. That makes sense. The fuel pump actually should not be the issue because I am thinking it would not work at all.
Now, is there anyway to resolve the issue, if it is in fact a hole in the main pickup tube?

I could just live with it and figure out what my range is after going to RES. Base on what I got from two gallons, I should be safe to nearly 175 miles or so, using RES.

Thanks
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top