Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a ’76 GW that was owned by an old guy… I guess I should clarify that statement… I’m almost 60 & he is older than me… Okay, back to the question… The bike was only used on the weekends & it must have been sitting for some time before I bought it because it almost wouldn’t make it up the street when I took it for a test ride… It ran good after about 3 or 4 tanks of gas… BUT the 1[sup]st[/sup] time I had to put it on reserve it clogged the glass fuel filter with black crap… I’m not sure if it was rust or what… That was in May… Today I strip the bike down & pulled the tank out (I won’t tell you how many hrs it took) but did get it out… Now my son-in-law is a Mgr for Autozone & I ask him what he would use to clean it… He said CLR bathroom cleaner & marbles… Then I asked him if I should seal the tank after cleaning it… He said there was something on the market but it was not compliant & they pulled it… Does anyone think I should seal it or not… If I use CLR & then rinse it out with gas, do you think that will be good enough?
TNX, Jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

I believe there are kits available to clean and coat motorcycle tanks. That would be the way to go. I don't know the name for sure but "Kreem" seems close, so maybe you could do a forum search.

Someone will probably chime in with more info.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Randakk says stay away from Kreem. Do a search for Randakk's Cycle Shakk. Read what he has to say then you your own direction on Kreem.

Try this thread it is about cleaning and coating tanks: couldn't get thread to work. If you go to nakedgoldwings.com and search for "rusty fuel tank" you should get several. The one I specifically wanted you to see was began by UniCacher on Monday 29 Jun 2009.

Hope this helps you. It told me I'm not near ready to install rebuilt carbs and run it.

Terry

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

TNX to everyone for your input...
I'll check them out...
Jim

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,827 Posts
imported post

I used Por-15 on my 76five years ago and it looks now just like itdid then. A good product. Comes as a kit with everything you needexcept the marbles or nuts and bolts to shake in it..

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

Hello 5150Jim,I used Rustelco on my 75 wing.Its probably the best most thorough,easy to use and safe product out there.The biggest drawback is the price.With shipping from California the cost was $157.00.No need to coat the tank after using it.
I did elecrolosis on my 77 wing.That was kind of fun and inexpensive.A sealant may be necessary after this method.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If there is black/brown gooey stuff(tech term) in the tank you probably will need to use acetone to dissolve it and then use one of the rust remover methods described in the links..and then seal it. I used POR15 too..and liked it on three tanks so far. A good way to dry out your tank after cleaning is to use a hair drier takes a few minutes.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

For $40..........I bought a different rust-free tank on ebay and slapped it in. Took 2 hrs and less money that fooling with any tank coatings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.