Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I realize this subject has been discussed ad-infinitum on this forum, but I would like some specific first-hand user feedback on two products.

People seem to rave about Rusteco. The juice that the Rusteco guy says I need is $125 for the 5 gallon Goldwing tank. From everything I have read, this stuff works.

I was at Rural King at lunch today and saw gallon jugs of Evapo-Rust on the shelf for $14. I have seen this mentioned in these forums, but not sure I ever saw a first hand testimonial. I can buy two or three gallons of this stuff and easily do the tank, by using different orientations. I have the time. Any comments on this stuff?

Thanks, Steve Conner

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

for just a wee bit more than that cost you can send your tank tocyclepsycho in Eugene, Oregon and he will send you one already fixed and done

See them at: http://www.cyclepsycho.com/

EDIT: A very good thread going here. Edited to give complete info for future references. John

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I have used muriatic acid to clean several tanks and then sealed them with POR15..works great. But you have to careful with the acid it will eat right through the tank if you are not careful I've used a 50/50 and a 80/20 mix with water. Takes a few minutes to clean the rust out, then apply POR's pre stuff and then the sealer..according to directions. If you choose this method I can email a detailed how to of do a search on POR15 and my way will show up.

here you go

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=53119&forum_id=1&highlight=POR15

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

It looks to me like he's looking for a solution that does not require you to remove the tank guys.

The Rusteco product does work. Perfectly. No muss, no fuss, and no return of rust.

I'd never seen or heard of the Evapo-Rust stuff before now. Must be something new that has come out since I did a ton of research into what products were out there before doing my tank with Rusteco 4 years ago. My criteria while searching was
1.) NOT removing my tank
2.) Removing the rust, and all of it, the first time.
3.) Keeping the rust from coming back.
4.) Having absolutely 0% chance of problems because I truly hate tinkering with stuff.

What I just looked up on the internet about Evapo-Rust, however, gives me one major caution flag about using it over Rusteco...Enough that I would not have bought it because it wouldn't have fit my original criteria.

With Rusteco, the product cleans the rust and treats the metal so the rust doesn't come back. With Evapo-Rust, their directions state that you have to use the product, rinse with water, air-dry it, and fill the tank with gasoline immediately to avoid it "flash rusting". My concern would be parking it for a week or two with half a tank and 75%+ humidity...will the top half of the tank rust over? I'm thinking it might.

I've heard way too many people complain about POR-15 starting to flake off to even think of attempting it. The other problem with POR-15 is that unless you're extremely careful, it WILL clog the pickup screens in a Goldwing tank.

You get what you pay for, and personally, I paid for not having to do it ever again, and not having to worry about problems with it at a later date.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary. ;)

Mike

·
Premium Member
66 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

I'm sort of in the camp of anything that leaves the metal subject to "flash rust" is not a permanent fix.

I did not know of Rusteco when I did my '84 gl1200's tank. I had it stripped and then Nickel Plated. That fixed that one, but it required me to remove the tank. :p

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I also pull mine. $150 at a decent Radiator shop and it will outlive me. Sealed with Red Kote and no worries ever.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I've never heard of POR 15 flaking. Kream on the other hand, I have heard horror stories.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am not too sure about tank coatings. I have an old harley to work on in a couple weeks, the bike has been sitting in a barn for ten years. No gas in the tank it is all evaporated long ago, but with a flashlight you can look down into it and see the red color coating all flaked off and trash and rust and coating all in the bottom of the tank.

I think I will use the clothes dryer method for it. Put about two big handfulls of gravel in the tank, wrap it all up in a big blanket, stuff it all in the dryer, stuff another blanket in also, make sure Sandy is not home and turn it on and let it tumble half a day.

Then vacumn it all out with the shop vac and clean it good with compressed air.

Flash rust does not hurt anything, not if a bike is used all the time, any of that kind of thing the fuel filter will catch. It will only flash coat a bit, then oxidize and be ok. Sitting is what kills them.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
I've never heard of POR 15 flaking. Kream on the other hand, I have heard horror stories.
I have seen it flake. A friend tried it on a BMW he was restoring and DID NOT follow the directions properly. Some of the smaller flakes ended up in his carbs and messed things up.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

If you could get the tank off easily like a Harley tank, I would probably use Kit's dryer method just for the money savings. The only reason I went with the Rusteco method, is because I didn't want to take half the bike apart to get the tank out. At the time I bought the "juice" it was $175.00 dollars for a 5 Gal bucket. If you can get it for $125.00, I wouldn't take the tank off and put it back on for that amount.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I currently use Evaporust at work. We use it to remove rust off of automotive transmission components. It does a great job at removing SURFACE rust.But after a short time rust WILL resurface. That is why we are now switching over to Metal Rescue. It not only removes the surface rust but also it will prevent further rusting of the component. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Mike,

I've seen your posts on using Rusteco to clean a gas tank without taking the tank out. I've searched the forums looking for the instructions you've mentioned but can't find. I need to clean my 83 Aspencade tank and do not want to take it off. Can you repost any of the instructions or send a reply to this? It would be greatly appreciated.

I bought this as a project and ride an 83 Interstate, also a recent purchase.

George Hines in British columbia

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

What Whiskerfish said above,That process has been tried & true by restorationists for many yrs.& the Redkote won't flake off & clog

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Will be derusting my tank in the near future with one of these products and not wanting to take half the Wing apart to remove the tank. But at over a $100 to fill the tank with either products i have a crazy idea i think will work and save a lot of money. Don't laugh till you think about it ! Both products are harmless to anything but rust,plastic,rubber,paint and so forth,so thinking how to take up space in the tank to use less liquid.My soultion [Don't laugh] Ping Pong Balls, they are plastic,float and small enough to put in and remove from the fill port and with sending unit removed a even larger hole, don't forget they will float to the top of the tank.Walmart sell a 36 count pack for $3.00.Empty the tank, fill with balls, add derusted to top of tank with the balls traped in. When done flood with water and or shop vac till all the balls float out.Now you can laugh if you want, but what do you think ??? Jim

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Jim, I did something similar and used compressed air hose to spray into tank while covering all holes. The air blew the de-ruster arount inside the tank, requiring much less solution. I blew the air off and on for about 24hrs. Seem to work great to distribute solution inside tank.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

T know it sound crazy but i have have reserched ths size and shape of the tank and see no place the balls could get traped.I'm going to keep track of the number of balls in and out to be sure all are out. Now just have to decide which product to use Evapo-rust or Rusteco.
Jim

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

I've used electrolysis to clean tons of metal. Did a whole door panel in a kiddie pool for my ol' Lincoln.

It's as close to free as you can get, water, a five dollar box of washing soda and some time on the battery charger. Hell, you can use baking soda if you absolutely had to, but don't use table salt, you'll make mustard gas.

Just keep 'er topped off, and do it outside. I did two old Honda tanks for a friend of mine, and they turned out great. The insides are black when they're done, and hard as a rock.

Cheers,
~BBM

P.S. The ping pong balls sound like a good idea, just make sure you agitate, or there will be spots at the top where the ball was touching the top.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.