Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have some auto mechanics in our ranks. Can anybody explain how I can clear the gas tank vent in my 2002 Hyundai? The last couple of fill ups, the pump keeps shutting off like the tank is full, when it clearly isn't.

·
Administrator
25,051 Posts
The vent system on cars after 1996 are pretty complicated. All kinds of gismos to comply with emissions. It may take some complicated diagnostics to figure it out. One of the last things I did before retiring was to replace the tank on a Honda pilot for that problem. There is a valve inside it that was bad and not replaceable.

·
Administrator
25,051 Posts
On one of my cars, I just drilled a hole in the neck up high to let it vent out...

I didn't give a crap about EPA laws.
That would definitely cause the check engine light to come on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
sometimes u can fix a clogged vent. Sometimes u can reach them without dropping the tank. If not drop the tank and find it. I know on fords it or they can be cleaned.

·
Administrator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, it's not going to be as easy as pressurizing the tank?
Is this a job for the dealer only? That gets spendy, real fast.
The car has to get tested bi-annually. Will a clogged vent send up a fault code?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
No, don't waste your time there...

No, you can do it.
At most, a few hundred.

The car has to get tested bi-annually. Will a clogged vent send up a fault code?
Yes.

I would look into somehow testing the charcoal canister and its interconnecting lines.
Don't know exactly where it is, but I"m guessing under the hood, drivers side wheel-well area.
Compressed air to disconnected lines only. Don't pressurize anything.
I would think that there is some sort of monitoring of that system, directly or indirectly, that would throw a soft code of some sort..

·
Administrator
25,051 Posts
No,do not do that, it could ruin the fuel tank pressure sensor. Most independent shops should have the equipment and info to do it but they might not want to. Evap emission testing can be very frustrating. No that particular vent shouldn't set a code.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts

·
Administrator
25,051 Posts

·
Administrator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm back. I finally got around to taking the car into a dealer. They say the charcoal canister and the diagnostics module have to be changed. $720 + tax and labor. That's probably half the value of the car.
It did not throw a fault code, so it should get past emissions testing.

The canister can be gotten as aftermarket, but with no real savings. I think I'll take it out and analyze the possibility of repairing it.
The module is dealer only and at $525 I will wait until the canister is working to determine whether the module's actually dead. The mechanic said the little pellets from the canister get into it and plug it up. I'm hoping it can be unplugged.

·
Administrator
25,051 Posts
I'm back. I finally got around to taking the car into a dealer. They say the charcoal canister and the diagnostics module have to be changed. $720 + tax and labor. That's probably half the value of the car.
It did not throw a fault code, so it should get past emissions testing.

The canister can be gotten as aftermarket, but with no real savings. I think I'll take it out and analyze the possibility of repairing it.
The module is dealer only and at $525 I will wait until the canister is working to determine whether the module's actually dead. The mechanic said the little pellets from the canister get into it and plug it up. I'm hoping it can be unplugged.
I would have to ask what the #@&! has the canister have to do with the diagnostic module? A bad canister will most definitely set a fault code so I would have to question that too. How can pellets go through wires anyway?

·
Administrator
58,495 Posts
I too, don't follow any of that reasoning.

Once the sensor in the canister has done its' job, that is all she wrote.

From there to the module is just some wires.... nope, not believing him.

·
Administrator
25,051 Posts
And the canister couldn't cause the problem you have anyway.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.