Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi am thinking of de-rusting my gas tank i am going to use a new de-rust product
like muratic acid but a lot kindier and easier to use. but the downside is that the stuff
eats o-rings and the like. i can deal with the petcock but is there a drain beneath
the tank that has rubber grommets,o-rings??

thx gumby

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

There are no drains in the bottom of the tank, take the petcock off and the fuel sending unit out also and don't use the fuel cap because it has a rubber gasket on it. Are you going to pull the tank out of the bike? It would make cleaning it easier.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Unless you check out Kieth's link at the bottom of his post.

Then you can just pick up your wing, Turn it upside down and shake it till the tank is clean. Grin

Seriously, We had one of those Shot Loadable Sledge Hammers that was loaded to 15 or so pounds. We used to grab it at the end and extend your arm out with the hammer held straight up and slowly lower the hammer to touch your nose and bring it back up.

Like the graphic on right side at the start of his link.

We had a few wise young men break their nose trying to duplicate this.

This hammer was used every few weeks when ever the beer was flowing and the stories got wilder.

Ahhhh Good Times. Heheheh

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

If you are gonna pull the tank........ you can get a good clean used tank on ebay cheaper than what the Cleaner/re-seal kit will cost you. That was my experience anyhow.........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.