Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here is why conservation, even riding the Goldwing, will be counterproductive. In effect, it cheats the government out of it's hard earned taxes.

It won't pay to be more efficient. The only way youwill be able tosave is to stay at home; go nowhere and do nothing.

Partial text......from NYTIMES credit to them;

One increasingly discussed alternative is a tax on “vehicle miles traveled” (V.M.T.), which is essentially a mileage tax on cars and trucks. The concept was piloted in Portland, Oregon between 2006 and 2007, and a number of states, from North Carolina to Georgia, are also considering the concept.

The system worked by means of an on-board “mileage-counter,” which then notified participating gas stations in Portland how far the vehicle had gone. While the owner filled up, the gas tax was deducted from the gas bill, and the “mileage tax” was added.

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/will-a-mileage-tax-replace-the-gas-tax/?hp

NYtimes article explains how thjey have already done and will do it to everybody.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Stupid idea. There are too many ways to defeat it. Especially because I live in Oregon and drive very fuel efficient vehicles.

Q

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

I saw that news blurb a day or two ago also.

Idiots in action. We can't afford to drive now because we are broke, so install a bunch of toll booths, and make it mandatory to install a GPS locked to your ignition, and on and on and on....

I for one will do everything in my power to negate any and all of that. I have a bio-diesel processing plant that just may get pushed back into service.

Failing that, I will start riding my bicycle again. Better for my heart anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Is there a technical question here someplace?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Sounds like to me, a simple toggle switch in one wire, hidden somewhere and turned off 90 percent of the time would work. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

This should be in the General Discussion forum and the moderators will probably move it when they see it. That being said the whole idea is stupid. Why bother with all the technical equipment and crap when you can simply raise the tax on gas and make up the loss? When you consider the hidden costs in this scheme it would actually represent a rather large increase in taxation to the user but not much gain for the taxing authority.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

It's moved. :)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

It's my fault, I clicked on the wrong section, and while afterwards I realiazied this was general, I hope those more powerful than me in this forum, would move it for me. Thanks.

If it ever becomes a situation when we must adapt these devices to our Goldwings, then maybe, it might become technical.

Sorry for the trouble.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately, you'll see this type of thing happen in any situation where a government agency has become dependent upon revenues generated by taxing resources that the people don't "need", like oil, tobacco, alcohol, etc...

The people figure out ways to not use as much, or any of those resources, and the government agency finds itself in a pickle because those revenues dry up and their programs suffer while they scramble for new ways to take our money. :(

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Here is why conservation, even riding the Goldwing, will be counterproductive. In effect, it cheats the government out of it's hard earned taxes.

It won't pay to be more efficient. The only way youwill be able tosave is to stay at home; go nowhere and do nothing.

Partial text......from NYTIMES credit to them;

One increasingly discussed alternative is a tax on “vehicle miles traveled” (V.M.T.), which is essentially a mileage tax on cars and trucks. The concept was piloted in Portland, Oregon between 2006 and 2007, and a number of states, from North Carolina to Georgia, are also considering the concept.

The system worked by means of an on-board “mileage-counter,” which then notified participating gas stations in Portland how far the vehicle had gone. While the owner filled up, the gas tax was deducted from the gas bill, and the “mileage tax” was added.

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/will-a-mileage-tax-replace-the-gas-tax/?hp

NYtimes article explains how thjey have already done and will do it to everybody.
welcome to the LEFT coast...

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

What would stop folks from filling up gas cans ,say it's for my lawnmower , go around the corner and put it in?

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Then I'll say that its for molotov cocktails!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.