Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Heres a few FAQs on gas betcha did not know.Was in the business.Regular,Mid-grade,Premium starts life as all the same for there respective grades. Chevron,Shell,Non-branded and the like ALL come out of the same 3 different tanks. BP and Tesoro have there own refineries but sell to the other brands.The additive package that makes it a brand of fuel is added when it is being loaded into the truck for delivery. The refinery and middle man are the ones making the money here. Not most station owners unless they own there own tanker truck. Lets say the refinery wants $1.00 for a gallon ofregular. The trucking company buys it for a $1.00 a gallon. Then they add there charge to it and make it the price to the station $1.05 a gallon and add a delivery fee of around $500.00 dollars. Now the price of the gallon is $1.21. Now the station owner adds his little amount usually 3 cent's making a cost to us of $1.25 a gallon. Ofcorse now refineries are charging a little over $2.00 a gallon and the trucking company is charging a Fuel surcharge on delivery as dieselto run the trucks cost more. And last the guy selling it is still adding his 3 cents a gallon. IWANNA be the trucking company. The trucks haul about 8,000 gallons so thats a profit of $4,000 plus up to $500 delivery fee comes out to $4,500 for 2 or 3 hours work.

Winter blend fuel has a lower flash point then summer blend. Winter blend is actually very explosive if exposed to summer time heat and summer blend will almost not make aengine run in winter if you can even get it to ignite.

Premium has a higher flash point then regular. The reason premium is used in sports cars is this.

When air isput under compression it heats up and in a high performance engine with higher compression you get more heat. Premium is made to have a higher flash point andNOT preignite from the heat of compression. Regular gas has a lower flash point and WILL preignight in a high compression engine. The pinging you hear is fromTWO flame fronts meeting. Onestarted from the spark plug and one from ahotspot in the cylinder. When the flame fronts meet in the middle you getveryhigh pressure at that point. Pistons can take that for a while butWILL FAIL intime.Premium in a normal everyday engine is not good either with it's higher flash point. Not having the cylinder heatof a high compression engine the low compression engine will not burn it asfast. So it may actuallyhelp to cause burned valves, Higher emissions,less mileage,more contaminated oil,and less money in the wallet. Engines under about 10.5:1 compression NEED regular and engines over that NEED premium

Iknow GW'S have lower compression engines andNEED regular gas. If yours is pinging with regular then you have carboned up pistons causing the higher compression or your ignition is advanced to far and causing preigntion. What ever the case get it fixed!

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Here's a little more trivia. Tetra-ethol-lead,(spelling), was fist added to gasoline to help prevent pre-ignition,(and raise the octane level), for fuel used in high performance aircraft engines around WWI. The lead also helps by serving as a Lubricant/cussion for the combustion chamber valves.

Over the years it's been used for the same thing in auto engines. My biggest gripe is that since the early seventies, consumers have been duped into paying higher prices for anADDITIVE that isn't being ADDED, and is more commonly refered to as UN-LEADED fuel.

This to me, is like charging extra for the HOLE in a DOUGH-NUT..... :shock:

Or is this already being done... :action: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

We don't have to pay for that hole? Well I have been cheated!!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Yep the independant gas station owners are really getting oinched! My father in law owns 2 stations and a bulk fuel kiosk that delivers to local business. He is a jobber for Marathon. They are continually raising their gallon requirements for pricing breaks. He now must manage theselling gas to 3 stations he doesn't even own just to get a price break that will allow him to be profitable! I keep trying to talk him into opening a store for me but he says he like me too much to put me through the grief....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.