Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just wondering what everyone uses for fuel in the 1500. Regular, Plus or Super?

What is best????:action:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I run the cheap stuff, 87 regular, and everywhere I stop it's 10% ethanol also
Runs fine in my 88 1500

I would try the pure NO Ethanol gas if I find some when I need gas sometime.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have been running regular but just wanted to check and see what everyone else was running, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Popcorn, anyone??

:popcorn:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

87 is all the engine wants or needs.

Higher octanes are harder to burn and can actually contribute to plug fouling. Especially at high altitudes. There the lower the octane, the better the engine will preform.

I always get the lowest grade available, regardless of ethanol content. In truth, I have been unable to document any measurable difference in mpg with or without ethanol.

My riding style, the winds and the terrain all are against any such exercise. I have a very detailed chart over 4,000 miles on my 1500. That chart shows low numbers of 24 mpg and higher numbers at 40 mpg.

Depends on the throttle action and the wind and the terrain you are in.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
imported post

87 is all I ever use in both the Wing and my Shadow. It's all the engine needs. Higher octane only slows down the burn and can actually decrease your horsepower, though you'd be hard pressed to notice it.

I get a lot of quisitive looks from pump monkeys who do a double take when they hear "Regular". I guess a lot of riders out there are under the impression that they're getting something useful out of that extra 20-30 cents/gallon in a regular compression engine.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

At how high of a compression ratio should a person concider premium fuel? 1975 GL1000 manual says they start out with 9.5:1

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
At how high of a compression ratio should a person concider premium fuel? 1975 GL1000 manual says they start out with 9.5:1
A buddy of mine owned a late model Corvette, which runs around 11:1, and it was designed to run on premium. There's probably no single answer to this question, since it varies by engine design.

I've noticed that really hammering on the accelerator on my Wing can sometimes induce some pinging, and changing gasoline grade won't make it stop.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

BRP recommends using no less than 89 octane in Spyders. The popular notion behind this has something to do with U.S. emmissions. Oh, and as of this year, the standard plug for the roadster is iridium.Probably because it's a PITA to get at them. Meanwhile, I use 87 regular with Startron and Seafoam every 3rd tank. Mileage stays about the same, plug life about the same.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
I run the cheap stuff, 87 regular, and everywhere I stop it's 10% ethanol also
Runs fine in my 88 1500

I would try the pure NO Ethanol gas if I find some when I need gas sometime.

Here ya go Chromo....this site will tell you if a station is near you that sells the No Ethanol gas......

http://pure-gas.org/

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

I wonder how motor oil works into this conversation???? Please add a large :blackstuff: to my popcorn order....:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
imported post

DCrain wrote:
I wonder how motor oil works into this conversation???? Please add a large :blackstuff: to my popcorn order....:ROFL:
It's more fun to throw gas on the fire than eat popcorn, but only 91 octane or higher.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

So, lets see, we got octane, oil, and deer alerts mentioned. Aw what the heck, throw in some tire talk and grab me one of them popcorns.:cheesygrin:

Seriously though, my understanding is you only needhigher octane above 10.5:1 compression, and even then I've heard conflicting stories.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

It depends on more than just compression. The richness of the fuel mix and the advance of the timing are also very large factors in detonation. Higher octane fuels resist ignition under pressure better than lower octane fuels so If you are running the 6 degree timing advance you MIGHT get some good out of running the next higher grade of gas but it would take 3 or 4 tankfulls for you to make your conclusion. If you are getting detonation even at higher octane a good carb cleaning to be sure the proper amount of fuel is getting in might be in order.

An anecdote; I had a Ford Ranger that was cheaper to run the 89 octane than the 87 octane when gas went over $2 per gallon, the difference was 10 cents a gallon but I got better mileage with that particular pickup using the 89 octane. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

what kind of gas..... well the kind at the pump usually the cheaper of the choices

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

The gas I use is... .. .. .. .. naw, not going there.

Pass the popcorn and the yellowcheezzzy-salt please.

I got my :blackstuff:already.

:action:THROTTLE-ON

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.