Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was out working on the bike and could hear bubbling. Sure enough withcloser inspection tiny bubbles were rising out of all cells of the battery. This was slow but I could watch them rise and hear them burst on the surface.

The battery had died last weekend so I took it out, cleaned all the terminals, charged it and put it back in. It was reading 12.75 volts then and it's at 12.5 volts now. Don't think there isa drain on it so why the gassing?

I always thought that batteries would only gas while charging. The bike has not been run and no charging has taken place.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,824 Posts
imported post

Your in luck if the voltage stays up in the +12 VDC zone. You may have overcharged the battery in the charging state and released sulfates off the lead walls and they may have reunited in the electrolyte to reform sulfuric acid. The gas bubbles should be hydrogen so no smoking or sparks any where near the top of the battery, even connecting or removing the chargwer could cause an explosion, Be sure to remove the mains (120VAC from the charger) then remove the + and - leads. The battery may be a revivalist, but keep an eye on it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Yeah that was my understanding of what happened during charging. When a battery is left discharged the lead sulfate becomes hard and won't come off to combine with the acid. During normal charging more current is applied to the battery then it can use to recharge so the left over pulls the water into O and H.

In my line of work we have large battery plants. These are sealed, gel cell batteries but still lead acid. The ventilation system is interlocked to the chargers to prevent charging in the event the vents shut down. I have seen batteries gas under a heavy load but again thought this was due to water being ripped apart by the current.

It surprised me to see them gassing. I am going to bring home an Ammeter and see if there is any draw. A battery will last a long time an a slight trickle discharge but it is the kind of thing that can leave stranded.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top