Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, I'm draining my coolant, to remove the radiator so I can get at parts to clean them, and as usual, with the cap still attached, barely a trickle is coming from the drain plug. That's OK. I'm in no hurry.

Then, As I started toremove the left exhaust, also to clean stuff, the coolant started flowing as if the cap had been removed.This seems wrong to me.

So my question is...can opening up the exhaust end of a cylinder, uncorka coolant line somewhere, other than through a head gasket?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

No it may be just a coincedence fill the system again and retry it only leave the exhaust off in case there is a crack some were

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I realy can't see how pulling a exhaust header could affect a head gasket. Perhaps it was just a coincedence that it started to run free at same time also you may have josled the bike a litte while working on the exhaust and freed an airlock.
Wilf

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I agree, coincedence. More air in the radiator lends to more volume of the stuff coming out, so it's a coincedence of time, ...that it took to get from opening the drain to unbolting the exhaust. That and maybe any jigglin' of the bike which may have helped the air issue.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

possible that an exhaust stud has been over tightened at some point and screwed into the coolant passage in the head?or just caused a small crack.

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

It just took a little time for the valve on the cap to open to let air in so it could drain.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

So, the census here is that it was a coincidence?

Darn it! I have a head gasket, but now I haveno place to put it.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

If you didn't live 2 hrs away, I'd take that gasket off your hands. I'll be needing one tomorrow!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.