Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ive been looking at a bunch of sites looking for some parts one part Iam looking for is a back cover gasket half of the sites call that a stator gasket now is that the same as the back cover gasket going through saber cycle since the have everything I need they call the gasket Iam looking for a ststor gasket 86 1200 ASP HELP:15green:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Must mean "gasket needed to change the stator"- there is only one. Dont need clutch cover gasket. Clutch slave seal is a good idea. Be sure to clean all the oil off the cases and clean them with solvent, then use gasket compound ( I use permatex black gasket sealer, extremely sticky!) so the cases dont leak- its really embarrasing to put it back together then get ridiculed because it leaks oil like a Harley.

Be EXCEEDINGLY careful not to drop, hit, bump or otherwise crunch the stator windings against the mount in the case, its easy to do while trying to stuff that black plug through the case, and can destroy the stator if it hits hard enough to damage a winding. Treat the windings like glass and youll do OK.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

And make sure that the circlip holding the rubber grommet that the stator wires pass through is seated properly in the groove or you will get a bad oil leak. All the best with the job.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Just a note about that rear cover gasket. The Honda one is a lot more expensive than aftermarket ones (you usually have to buy a set with aftermarket as well), but I've read lots of stories about poorly fitting rear cover gaskets and always aftermarket ones. The Honda one is alwaysa much betterfit.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Just a note about that rear cover gasket. The Honda one is a lot more expensive than aftermarket ones (you usually have to buy a set with aftermarket as well), but I've read lots of stories about poorly fitting rear cover gaskets and always aftermarket ones. The Honda one is alwaysa much betterfit.

ordered the gasket from Honda there cost 17.00 saber cycle 24.00

Iam not taking the stator out just replacing the back eneine cover gasket :dude:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
Koots,I'm not testing you abilities to spot a oil leak.

But seeing that you are Only changing the rear cover gasket,Are you sure it isn't the slave cyl leaking done the engine cover impersonating a rear cover leak?? I have seen slave cyl's leak in the past,,,Just trying to save you some labor???

Mr 1200 no its not the slave cyl I was in the engine last year to do som trans work and had a problum with the clutch I put the push plate on backwards so I had to take the back cover off a few times till I got the clutch right honest mistake so I think tore the gasket where the bottom bolt go through the gasket its leaking right there were the cover meets the block not running down from the slave :dude:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Can you loosen the cover, work in a little Permatex, bolt it up and see if it leaks. Nothing much to lose and it should stop any leaks.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

exavid wrote:
Can you loosen the cover, work in a little Permatex, bolt it up and see if it leaks. Nothing much to lose and it should stop any leaks.

:waving:
Tryed that still leaks :X

Iam going to put a new clutch in it while the engine is out not to big of a deal just a lot of BS getting all the small parts off to pull the eneine if all the parts come in Ill start friday night after dinne if I think about it Ill take some pic of the job

:15magenta:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Tip the engin eforward so the oil doesnt seep out the bottom, clean both faces with solvent then use Permatex gasket sealer (monkey "stuff" as I call it) and glue it on. IT wont seal if the oil is lying in the bottom.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Tip the engin eforward so the oil doesnt seep out the bottom, clean both faces with solvent then use Permatex gasket sealer (monkey "stuff" as I call it) and glue it on. IT wont seal if the oil is lying in the bottom.

no Dave you got it wrong its gorila snot not not monkey stuff lol

I know what you mean and I will do that thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wingwarrior wrote:
Dave Campbell wrote:
no Dave you got it wrong its gorila snot not not monkey stuff lol
I know what you mean and I will do that thanks
I may not be as old as REDWING, but Dave's right, where I come from it's Monkey S#*t!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.