Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yes, I am still working on this particular job. Time is hard to come by these days.

I used the Perma-Tex gasket remover stuff (nasty!) and sprayed a total of three times and it's still pretty stuck. What do you folks do when it's not coming off? Any tricks or ways so that I don't asphyxiate meself with this stuff?

:clapper:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Scrape it off. Didn't know there was any other way. Finish it off with a wire wheel brush.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

You might try to take a Popsicle stick sharpen it so it looks like a wood chisel on one end and use it as a gasket scraper or very carefully use a single edge razer blade to work the gasket loose. Methanol alcohol will loosen some gasket sealers. I do know that gasket removing chemicals will eat paint and never touch the gasket material They should be called remove everythingexcept the gasket remover that stuff will eat skin and all kinds of stuff except gaskets.:shock:There is a plastic buffing wheel made for die grinders specifically for aluminum they are white in color what I do is use these by hand it will remove stuck on gasket material and not harm the aluminum you can get these at most auto parts stores. Keep picking at the gasket sooner or later it will give up. Small blades pocket knifes( dull ones)work good but be careful not to damage the metal surfaces. Good Luck

Norman

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Just like Silicon Sam and norman said. I spent more time cleaning up the mating surfaces when I replaced a head gasket on my 83:11grey: than I did disassembling/reassembling!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I would stay away from the sprays... they can get into the oil, and do baaaaad things. I use razor sharp, high quality wood chisels to obliterate the gaskets. Be careful about gouging the soft aluminum. I have found that no other option is as fast, or as easy. If you do get a little deep into the metal, just put a thin coat of liquid gasket on that side.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Use a putty knife, they usually don't cut into the aluminum. Strong alcohol cuts Permatex (albeit slowly),a heat gun with speed things up. I have used Permatex for over 40 years and still do but most of the time nowadays I use their red silicon based sealer. It does a good sealing job and is a lot easier to remove. Permatex (the soft setting type) is still best if the edges of the mating parts are a bit rough. If you can't get it all off, usually if it's not too thick no thicker than a coat of paint,it won't hurt the new gasket will take up for it.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

yopu might also try lacquer thinner, it will usually disolve just about anything, and evaporates very quickly.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

got it off with a "pry bar" - my latest purchase at Sears. it was not advertised as a gasket scraper but it has a nice sharp point to it and is slightly wider than a screwdriver but not as wide as a razor blade. worked very, very well! long handle helped to get into tight area at the top of the transmission cover.

put the cover back on with the new bolts ordered from a 1980 and all is going smoothly - so far. I always cross fingers in times like these. I will not be satisfied until I get some more of it finished this week and fire it up as soon as this weekend.

thanks to everyone thus far for their help!:action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
yopu might also try lacquer thinner, it will usually disolve just about anything, and evaporates very quickly.
Unfortunately acetone, toluene (lacquer thinner), and MEK won't do much to Permatex, but alcohol will cut it, but you need fairly high percentage alcohol, around 90% or better to cut the dried stuff. It will clean tools and fingers too when nothing else will get it off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.