Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been quoted £200 approx for a full gasket set for a GL1100 from a Honda dealer here in the UK. Is this the right price? Is there anywhere I can get the sets cheaper?

I saw what the sets (2 sets required for a complete engine rebuild) include on the microfiche, and they seem to include a load of stuff I don't really need.

I'm having to do a rebuild because 4th gear has lost 9 teeth - why I have no idea. Has anyone else had any trouble with GL1100 gearboxes? I don't want to pay £130 for a new 4th gear and have it fail again in another few miles.

I'm looking at over £300 to repair - I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it. The bike itself is a naked 82/83 GL1100 - probably worth £1500?? I might get more by breaking it - any comments?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

If you go to this thread you will find a place that does good deals on gaskets http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=688&forum_id=1&highlight=gaskets

The price you were quoted from Honda is about right, they do know how to charge! You get all the stuff like O rings and valve stem seals whether you want them or not.
I haven't heard of gearbox problems with the GL1100 and I don't think it's common. It might have been better/cheaper to buy a used engine (even a bad 0ne) with a good gearbox as you would get all the bits you need. You would have to get the correct year engine as the gearboxes had some changes I think in 1982 (the Goldwing History page on this site will give you the details).

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply, I hadseen the post about the gasket sets - unfortunately its about a store in the US, I was hoping someone might know somewhere in the UK that can supply the necessary.

I had also thought about an old engine but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse sh*t....... unless anyone knows better?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.