Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1988 1500 and when I park the bike (in the garage) after a long or short ride there is a fairly strong gasoline smell. No leaks visible, I have checked all the lines and all around the carbs incl. the air filter area, nothing visible. The gas cap appears ok and when released it has pressure in the tank. Any ideas?

Paddy

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Possibly the fuel petcock?

I don't have that problem with my 88 till I go to resart it after sitting warm for a bit, then I get the fuel smell. Kinda like it's loaded up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

Hi. Pat, check that the arrow on the gas cap is point forward, and other places to check is on the left side of the engine and behind the spark plugs, there aretwo black vaccum lines between the front and middle spark plugs. These two small vaccum lines are short and have a sharp bend in them and sometimes they have a small crack at the bend and would be hard to see if they did. I changed mine. My wing does not smell gas on cool days but if it gets hot outside, mine will produce this gas smell, and I too have pressure in the tank. One day I will get close to carburators and get them off.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

patrickfitzgerald wrote:
I have a 1988 1500 and when I park the bike (in the garage) after a long or short ride there is a fairly strong gasoline smell. No leaks visible, I have checked all the lines and all around the carbs incl. ... Any ideas?

Paddy
Classic signals of a vacuum petcock diaphragm leak.

Is the fuel filler tray ever damp, that's the square plastic drip catcher around the gas cap.

How does the middle spark plug on the right cylinder bank look compared to others, look rich ? That's were the vacuum line runs from the center intake runner to the petcock.

The only way to verify is to remove the petcock and disassemble, it's easy to take apart, difficult to reassemble, expect to pay around $130.00 U.S. for a replacement.

Something to think about. If the dealer has it in stock, it means he's selling them.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

This is a "thank you" to all the suggestions I have received. It sounds like it may be the "vacuum petcock diaphragm.Because, yes the middle right spark plug is running blacker than the others. There is not any dampness in the fuel filler tray.

Here is an interesting observation/situation I have just had. On the way home one night last week the bike started to Misfire at low revs!! After removing all the hardware and checking just about everything (including the spark plugs) I was at wits end; and the bike was still misfiring.A few days later I was speaking with a Mechanic at a local bike shop, he suggested I replace the plugs. He said when they get fouled up even once they could be faulty! It turned out to be the two back plugs on the left side. I replaced all and it's running beautiful.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The Gold Wing is a very advanced vehicle, extremely tight temperature control, if you are fouling plugs, there is another issue.

Two carbs, one for each bank.

Three ignition modules two cylinders each.

Plethora of vacuum hoses, mixed results.

On the earliest 1500's air shot pots, reed valves, computer controlled air solenoids cause even more issues.

The plugs don't foul because "It's a motorcycle" you should be able to get 40-50 thousand miles out of a set of plugs.

I suggested the vacuum petcock because of the smell.

Look at this thread to see a similar problem.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/2728.html

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.