Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here we are from the Nassir2 thread with GATOR TALES.

Claude just wowed us with one from TX.

One of my more antsy motorcycle rides was coming back from Key West to the mainland one night. Instead of the main causeway, we went the backroad out to the east between Key Largo and Florida City. It's a little 2-lane through the marsh, and the marsh is American Crocodile Sanctuary. Those happen to be similar to gators, but more hostile, and they'll go out of their way to eat you. I didn't realize the sanctuary was out there til I saw the first "crocodile crossing" sign. Even the croc on the sign was an ugly, mean-looking booger.

As I was riding along, I began to imagine how bad it would be to hit a crocodile in the road with a motorcycle, and that it would probably cause me to run off the little dike the road is built on, and maybe into the marsh, which is fairly shallow.

Then I realized that going into the marsh would cause a splash, which would probably get the attention of ALL THE CROCODILES IN THE MARSH. That was enough to bring me back to the moment, and intensify my focus as Izoomed along at my new speed of about 20 mph.

I gained a new level ofattentiveness for the remainder of the ride. Stimulating experience, though! Kept me on my p's and q's, as well as pins and needles.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Ever go Bass fishing? I caught a 8 foot gator on a buzzbait once. Not a real large gator by southern standards but it was a tussle for awhile until the gator took my buzzbait away from me.

Gators only eat once in awhile, so you would have been safe splashing around, unless of course you ran into a hungry one. :)

Seriously they have became a concern. And they are dangerous, I cannot stress that enough. A man last fall had his arm ripped off in a golf park, the gator was hiding in the pond. They will eat dogs, and children, so if around water it is always wise to be very careful.

There are several situations each year where children are taken by the Cold blooded and Cold of Heart reptiles. They put them on the endangered list and they have gotten quite numerous now.

Kit

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I used to catch little ones on jitterbugs at Bulls Island.

We also tore the bream UP with popping bugs, wading on Bulls Island one day while my friend's wife watched the mama gator on the nest for us, about 50 ft away. Bream bedding, gators nesting.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I recall another croc tale, this one from Swaziland.

A friend of mine in those days came from a farm in Swazi, his father ranched cattle. These are those big African beasts with a big hump on their shoulder. Although I didn't see the action I saw the photos.

It seems that they had a lot of trouble with crocs on the river, in fact the boys regularly went on croc shoots. This meant putting the boat in way upriver, then drifting downstream, both armed with 303's. The idea being to shoot evry croc they saw.

The trouble was they never got them all, or even close to all, and they kept missing one very large ugly bugger that liked to hang around a pool where the cattle usually came to drink.

Well one day the herd bull went down to drink, and this croc reared up out of the water and grabbed the bull by the snout. The bull was not about to give in. He dug his feet in and pulled back, the croc did whatever crocs do and tried to drag him into the river. The rest of the herd started to make a commotion which brought people along to see what was happening.

As it turned out they did not get there soon enough, the crocs four big teeth had finally ripped out of the bulls nose, and of course the bull was not giving him a second chance.

It took them most of the next day to catch the bull, he was some mad. He had to be caught to get some shots of antibiotic, crocs teeth are positively powerhouses of infection.

The bull survived, but with some real ugly scars down his nose, and for ever after he always took company when he went to drink, and the heifer got to go first.

I saw the photos of the bulls nose just after the event, and a few weeks later, along with photos of the suicided python. But that's a story for another day.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
imported post

Yes, Alligators were once on the endangered species list. But now they are so numerous that they have become a nuisance. and I belive they have been taken off the list

They carryout organized hunts for them down here in the Low Country (Charleston) and since I live near the resevoir, we see our share of them.

It is rutting season and many residents will wake up to find a gator of any size in their yards or streets as the gators go back to spawn.

What I find funny is that you hear alot about Gator attacks in Florida. But South Carolina has twice as many alligators here and you very seldom hear about an attack on a person.
Perhaps its because we use some common sense and don't feed or mess with them unlike those tourists down there who want to play with or make them a pet... Duh

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
A man last fall had his arm ripped off in a golf park, the gator was hiding in the pond.

Kit
Yet another darned good reason not to play that game!!!!:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ron, you're right that it's a different kind of society there in the lowcountry, and that makes the difference in gator attacks. SC people aren't that far removed from the days when the only good gator was a dead gator.

When I was there for the gator hunt last fall, you were supposed to (by law) gig, spear, otherwise somehow get hold of the gator, then "dispatch" it at the side of the boat. It quickly became apparent that, #1 -most hunters were just shooting them with high-powered rifles, and #2 - the game wardens knew it dang well, and were not enforcing their regs with regard to manner of taking.

I think they just had to structure the regs that way to keep it from being wanton high-powered rifle fest out there, with people getting shot accidentally.

I think they had a very successful harvest, and the gators are REALLY shy and reclusive there now, for the most part. that's not such a bad thing!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

swampfoxcws wrote:
Ron, you're right that it's a different kind of society there in the lowcountry, and that makes the difference in gator attacks. SC people aren't that far removed from the days when the only good gator was a dead gator.
Come on swampfoxcws, I live in Florida, and i still feel that way except for 1 difference. I think the only good gator is the one that lost his tail and is fried on my plate.:DAin't nuthin better than some deep fried gator tail.;)

Tastes like chicken:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Tastes like chicken eh? :D Once I believed that story about rattlesnake. It was said it tasted like chicken.

So we went out in the field one day when Rowdy( my stallion ) was making a fuss and there was a large Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake. A pitchfork was the nearest weapon and the snake was skewered. I carried it home, skinned it and salted the hide for tanning later and cut the snake up in small sections.

We tried frying it, could not chew the thing.

So we tried putting it in the pressure cooker, it was awful, threw it out the back door and the dogs ate it, then got sick. :cheeky1::cheeky1: Did not taste like chicken to me. Did not look like the dogs were too impressed either.

Gator tail though is very good, especially dipped in the sauce they make at the Restaurant down in Surf City Beach, near Myrtle Beach. I always stop there just for that. Much better than chicken it puts a chicken to shame.

Kit

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I wasn't talking about y'all few leftover RURAL Floridians. Seems to me that most of your present population there might not even have a gun in the condo, if you know what I mean (Oh, God, now I bet I'll hear from THEM!).

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Tastes like chicken eh? :D Once I believed that story about rattlesnake. It was said it tasted like chicken.

So we went out in the field one day when Rowdy( my stallion ) was making a fuss and there was a large Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake. A pitchfork was the nearest weapon and the snake was skewered. I carried it home, skinned it and salted the hide for tanning later and cut the snake up in small sections.

So we tried putting it in the pressure cooker, it was awful, threw it out the back door and the dogs ate it, then got sick. :cheeky1::cheeky1: Did not taste like chicken to me. Did not look like the dogs were too impressed either.

Gator tail though is very good, especially dipped in the sauce they make at the Restaurant down in Surf City Beach, near Myrtle Beach. I always stop there just for that. Much better than chicken it puts a chicken to shame.

Kit
Whilst the gator tails do taste nice, ( a bit chewey but nice flavour) isn't it a lot safer to just catch a chicken than snakes and gators!!!!:shock::D:D

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:

Kit
Whilst the gator tails do taste nice, ( a bit chewey but nice flavour) isn't it a lot safer to just catch a chicken than snakes and gators!!!!:shock::D:D
Naw chickens are too tame. See catching a gator is considered health food. It gets your heart rate up and makes the adrenalin flow and helps combat all that colesterol that collects from just eating chickins' :shock: A snake under a house will help with the reduction of colesterol also, but it is a might hazardous trying to stand up under a house. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
Naw chickens are too tame. See catching a gator is considered health food. It gets your heart rate up and makes the adrenalin flow and helps combat all that colesterol that collects from just eating chickins' :shock: A snake under a house will help with the reduction of colesterol also, but it is a might hazardous trying to stand up under a house. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Shopping at our local supermarket is enough of an adrenalin rush Kit, fighting with those grannies with their shopping trollys is heart rate rising enough, you have no idea how fraught I feel just making it to the chicken isle!!!!:shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

A very wise man once told me that if it tastes like chicken ten just have chicken. It's cheaper, easier to get & won't leave you missing toes, fingers, hands, feet, arms, etc.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

lopeha wrote:
A very wise man once told me that if it tastes like chicken ten just have chicken. It's cheaper, easier to get & won't leave you missing toes, fingers, hands, feet, arms, etc.
You have obviously not been in a British supermarket lately Lopeha, thereis every danger of loosing limbs in one!!!!! :shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:Certainly toes and fingers are at risk from trolley rage, with the women driving them like maniacs!!!

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Shopping at our local supermarket is enough of an adrenalin rush Kit, fighting with those grannies with their shopping trollys is heart rate rising enough,

Would they be "Racing Grannies" Pete???? :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Geordiemuppet wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
Shopping at our local supermarket is enough of an adrenalin rush Kit, fighting with those grannies with their shopping trollys is heart rate rising enough,

Would they be "Racing Grannies" Pete???? :cheeky1:
Yes they often would be!!!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Did you say chewy????? Last gator tail we had, it seemed like the longer I chewed the bigger it got....Never could swallow it.......

The area of Texas, hell 3/4ths of Texas has gators, so that covers a lot of territory, Back to my thought.....When I was a scout there was a gator cage at the nature area of the camp...along came a storm, enclosure blew down....gators found the lake...They never really bothered you except one that I met as an adult leader at camp......There was this huge gator that would pace you in a canoe then when you least expect it....he would go under your canoe and flip it...then come up and look at you ..He never attacked anyone but the rangers had him caught and moved to another lake.... Several hundred miles away.....

OK one summer we had a clown scout master that had a "Drum" ....this was a wooden nail keg wit a leather cover on one end and through the center of that leather bottom he had a piece of string with pine sap on it....Now with a rag and pulling it on that string he could make it sound like several animals.....OK I'm on a small trial next to the lake checking on some scouts.....It was an Order of the Arrow induction.....I heard this rumbling sound several times, and I'm thinking it is this scout master with that drum making those sounds....I c0nfronted him when I got back to the base camp...Ranger said he never left the camp..We grabbed some flashlights went running back to that trail and found drag marks of a huge gator.....gathered everyone up and away from the lake.....Scouts cleared that lake several times but the gators come back every year....it is near a river so they migrate to the lake...

Claude......

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

When I was a scout, we sat round a cozy camp fire and sang Cum by Ya Me Lord!!!:shock:Most deadly critter I had to deal with was probably an ant!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There is something to this shopping stuff, around here it is Walmart on the Saturday.

That store is so crowded you need stoplights and bells to navigate the aisles. So many times tagging along with Sandy I tend to entertain myself. A woman is coming down the aisle and not paying attention to where she is going so I just move Sandy's cart out a bit with my toe, they have many accidents this way. :D:D:D

That is why Sandy says she can dress me up, but not take me anywhere. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

So latest gator news locally, they have been found in the nature walk canal in Columbia. Signs have been put up, warning people they are now there. Hundreds of people use the walk daily for exercise and to just go for a walk with their dog. So the protection program has worked, and evolution is working as seems some of them can tolerate the somewhat cooler temps of early spring, so there they are.

Life would be good to be a gator, let me see, today I think I want a poodle. That Jack Russel still has me nervous, think I will try a poodle today.

Kit

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.