Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Speedometer quit working and it's not the little gear deal down in the wheel, so almost has to be the gauge? Need the cluster at a reasonable cost....recently unemployed so money is tight. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

Not sure what yr it is from but I do know its a newer one at least a 96 model I have one Not sure what its worth but make me an offer ... I know how it is to be unemployeed.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

I will get a picture of it tomorrow for you Or rather later today :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

tobiano wrote:
Speedometer quit working and it's not the little gear deal down in the wheel, so almost has to be the gauge? Need the cluster at a reasonable cost....recently unemployed so money is tight. Thank you!
> Verify that the Cable is not broken

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I don't know what a used cluster would be worth....but if it's a lot, I can't afford anyway. Only reason I need one I guess is so I dont get speeding tickets. My tach works fine, but the tach, radio and time elements and speedup are alllllllll in that bunch together so the while thing has to be replaced I think? Anyone know for sure? Does your whole unit work? How many miles does it show? My bike only has about 51,000 miles on it. I Thank you!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Cable was broken and replaced....still not turning the speedo.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

I have the Speedometer, if you want to take your housing apart. Free + shipping.
Otherwise you are looking at $200.00 for the cluster w/ the LED screen.
PM me if you want.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi, Skip...
the speedo made it here just fine...thank you very much.

Now hoping to try and get it in and that it works good. My bike isn't going to know how to act...will feel like a youngster again with only 14,000 miles on!

I tried to turn a dial to up it to the 51,000 range it's actually in, but that isn't gonna happen...

Carolyn

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

tobiano
Did you raise the front wheel and spin the tire while you had the cable off to check that the speedo drive unit was turning? They can break with a frozen cable as it has a plastic gear in there.
Let me know if you need help with it. I'll be in Hancock in @ 2 weeks(8/20-22)riding to my son's to see the grandsons and should be around for a week or so. Then east bound zig-zag through the U.P. and south by nor-east to NH
God Bless
Stu

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Two people told me it was all working, but I got the parts awhile ago, just in case. The new cable, although broken, didn't fix the issue. Now that I have a speedo, when that is replaced, then will see how things are. Hope to be able to take my parts back.... $90 worth, and I could use that as am unemployed going on a month now....and getting pretty scared about it... :/

Thanks... :)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Check the drive first. Might save you some time.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

It was checked....by two people... :)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Hello, Skip..

Just a quickie to let you know that I got the bike going Sunday. Took more time to tear down and put back together than it did to actually fix. :/ We are not experts in teardowns... :) Anyway, it's all good and I greatly appreciate it.

Another question, for anyone...
Seems to be getting poor mileage lately. Air filter and plugs could be the problem, but if not, what else would come to mind? Thanks....!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Synchronize the carbs

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

the bike doesn't miss or run bad, but is that not always the case if the carbs are off? thanks! Just trying to learn

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Not always the case.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Ok,thank you!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

Sometimes if its set for a while the gas gets a little bad. so I use Sea Foam. Put some in the gas tank and some in theoil. change the oil in a short time after. I did that to my wifes Yamaha Star and it worked. Just my two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

Sometimes if its set for a while the gas gets a little bad. so I use Sea Foam. Put some in the gas tank and some in theoil. change the oil in a short time after. I did that to my wifes Yamaha Star and it worked. Just my two cents worth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.