Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought this 1982 GL1100A. Usually once per ride the fuel and temp gauges increase to maximum when riding. When you come to idle, they seem to eventually decrease to normal. Early on I thought I was over heating, but that's not the case. I'm thinking it may be the 7 volt regulator for the gauges, any idea?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Same thing happened to mine. It's the stabiliser all right, its inside the idiot lights cluster housing.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 7V regulator is surely the culprit, you might want to do something about it soon as hitting the gauges with the full 12V+ won't do them any good.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Found an aftermarket 7 volt reg. for $25 on ebay new. I figured it was worth a shot considering the OEM priced at $92. I haven't received it yet, but I'll let you know how it works. This my help save you all a little money if it works for me. He sells them for the pre 1978 GL1000 also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Someone posted here about them before cardkev. They do work fine on the Goldwing apparently.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

OK, got the regulator in, works as advertised, reads about 7.15 volts. Fuel gauge works great now, appears accurate. However, the temp gauge is working but reads very low. Barely makes it out of the blue area, but it does increase. I doubt here in Florida with the temp in the morning at 80deg F that I'm running that cool. Is there anyway to test the sensor or gauge?

Forgot one piece of info. While assembling the instrument panel I did blow the 5A fuse associated with it. One of the wires I stuffed in there must have shorted to ground. I took it back apart rearranged the wires and reassembled. Replaced the fuse and had no further episodes. Not sure if this screwed up the gauge?

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Yes there is a way to test the sensor and gauge. For the gauge, if you ground the wire running to the sensor (with the key in the run position)the reading should read maximum then drop down when the ground is released.

For the sensor you have to remove it and place it in a pan of cold water on the stove after attaching the leads from a digital VOM. At room temperature the readings will be 2-3 K ohms and at 176 degrees the reading will be 0.02 -0.04 Kohms.

Use a Farenheit thermometer in the water so you can observe the temp changes.

Hopefully your gauge will be OK.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Or if you have the sensor removed and still hooked up to the bike, (you will need to add a temporary ground wire) bring out a good sized pan of water that was brought to a boil, 1/2 gallon or so and dip the sensor in that to see where the temp gauge on the bike goes. It should read 3/4 scale or around there.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

jimchristiansenposted this link last November in a thread titled "Blown 12 to 7 volt regulator for gauges". I used it to build my own regulator for less than $10 in parts from Radio Shack. It has been on the bike for over 3K miles thru cold, rain and heat and still works fine.

http://members.cox.net/dfarrell4/7vreg.html

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Or if you have the sensor removed and still hooked up to the bike, (you will need to add a temporary ground wire) bring out a good sized pan of water that was brought to a boil, 1/2 gallon or so and dip the sensor in that to see where the temp gauge on the bike goes. It should read 3/4 scale or around there.
Good idea Paul, this will show the gauge operatingas long as he is not clumsy and spills the water on himself..

If you do it this way make sure you figure some way to attach the pot of boiliong water to the bike because hot water can melt skin.

Vic

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Got the gauge fixed last night. It's an embrassing story. When I hooked the 7v lead back up to the rear of the gauge, I attached it to the fuel gauge not the temp gauge. Therefore, there was no nut on the temp side to make contact with the metal strip that connects the two. So no power was at the temp gauge. Again I appreciate all the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.