Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,947 Posts
imported post

bike doesn't have an electronic speedomete, it's cable
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well that is too bad then that my 89 doesn't have the correct wiring, but for anyone 1990 and up 4.95 sure beats 199 bucks. I guess 88 and 89 could use just the 1st, N and 2nd. They do have those wires, correct?
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

sunsetnkc wrote:
Well that is too bad then that my 89 doesn't have the correct wiring, but for anyone 1990 and up 4.95 sure beats 199 bucks. I guess 88 and 89 could use just the 1st, N and 2nd. They do have those wires, correct?
Nope. Honda left out the 2nd gear wire on 88 and 89. Since 1st is the absence of any other, it has no way to determine 1st from 2nd.

We have to deal with that on the SmartLight Gearhead version.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,947 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
sunsetnkc wrote:
Well that is too bad then that my 89 doesn't have the correct wiring, but for anyone 1990 and up 4.95 sure beats 199 bucks. I guess 88 and 89 could use just the 1st, N and 2nd. They do have those wires, correct?
Nope. Honda left out the 2nd gear wire on 88 and 89. Since 1st is the absence of any other, it has no way to determine 1st from 2nd.

We have to deal with that on the SmartLight Gearhead version.
Will that $5.00 fit the 1993 GL1500 A & SE?
If so hoe do I get the wiring layout?
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

skip20 wrote:
Rudy wrote:
sunsetnkc wrote:
Well that is too bad then that my 89 doesn't have the correct wiring, but for anyone 1990 and up 4.95 sure beats 199 bucks. I guess 88 and 89 could use just the 1st, N and 2nd. They do have those wires, correct?
Nope. Honda left out the 2nd gear wire on 88 and 89. Since 1st is the absence of any other, it has no way to determine 1st from 2nd.

We have to deal with that on the SmartLight Gearhead version.
Will that $5.00 fit the 1993 GL1500 A & SE?
If so hoe do I get the wiring layout?
Got no idea. I do the SmartLights and they aren't $5 but they sure as hell ain't $200 either. :?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What is your smartlight cost then? I thought your smartlight showed 2nd gear also?



Nick
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

sunsetnkc wrote:
What is your smartlight cost then? I thought your smartlight showed 2nd gear also?



Nick
The gearhead model is $54.95 free shipping. Right now it is a 2 week special order because it is out of season for normal installation (typically a fall/winter thing).

I too have to deal with 2nd gear and on the up-shift from first it will blink like first but you are normally just passing through 2nd when accelerating, but on the downshift, it knows
where you came from and displays the double tap to indicate 2nd accurately when it counts.

Here is a video done by one of our members (A1) when he installed his..

http://www.youtube.com/v/7JV0TaS_hJ8
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
but, smartlight will indicate you which gear are you in, other than second?
Yes. 1st and 2nd. Since you already have a Neutral and OD light the only two you are not sure of are between 3rd and 4th which is rarely a problem for anyone.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top