Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried, or have any experience with either of these 2 shift indicators ? The universal one uses magnetic sensors, and apparently an electrical 'neutral' signal to determine gear position. The other is made to connect to the gear position switch of the engine. Based on my service manual, the gear position switch is used to feed a ground signal to the ECU of the bike. My concern would be that the indicator might 'back feed' a positive signal to the ECU through the LED display. Any thoughts or experience ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-LED-Universal-Digital-Gear-Indicator-Motorcycle-Display-Shift-Lever-Senso-/330733187259?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d013bf0bb&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-LED-Universal-Digital-Gear-Indicator-Motorcycle-Display-Shift-Lever-Senso-/190855783449?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6fe42419&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I bought an Air Rider combination volt meter / gear indicator for our '97 GL1500 Trike in 2005, it has performed flawlessly. It connects to the bike's gear position switch circuit, plug and play.
For volts, it was originally hooked into a light but I later wired the voltmeter wire through a relay to battery .... it made maybe a slight difference .... maybe 1/2 or 1/4 volt at most higher .... not enough to bother, but it satisfied my curiosity.

http://www.airrider.com/AIR_RIDER_GEAR_VOLT_INDICATOR_s/383.htm

http://www.airrider.com/AIR_RIDER_GL1500_GEAR_AND_VOLT_INDICATOR_p/03-03-04-gv.htm

They used to have a strictly gear indicator I think.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
The gear sensor wires go through a C59 "6-pin black" connector located on the right fan shroud then to the ECM. Ref: photo # 21.

See attached.............

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D Bohrer, sounds like you are familiar with the gear indicator. Have you ever hooked up a device to it ? And are my fears warranted, regarding a back fed voltage to the ECU ? The display device is using the ground connections made by the gear indicator switch as near as I can tell. I assume you would just tap the lines of the display into the appropriate wires of C59 Any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
I am familiar with the gear position switch but have never connected a gear indicator display unit to it. There is only "ground continuity" between the gear position switch and the ECM (no voltage). Therefor no back feed voltage to the ECM.

Yes, the appropriate wires from the "gear positions" would provide the signals to the display device.

D Bohrer, sounds like you are familiar with the gear indicator. Have you ever hooked up a device to it ? And are my fears warranted, regarding a back fed voltage to the ECU ? The display device is using the ground connections made by the gear indicator switch as near as I can tell. I assume you would just tap the lines of the display into the appropriate wires of C59 Any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I have the el cheapo version with the magnets. If your linkage is sloppy which most Wings are without the recent modded brace available its difficult to get the up shift triggers aligned as I am finding out on my 95 GL1500. What happens is you go up a gear but sensors tend to trigger two gears. If I install a brace it may straighten up.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Silverado, on the version you have, which I believe is the same as one of the ones I posted, is it required to connect the 'neutral' wire to the device. In other words, does it use the neutral trigger as it's reference point for determining the gear positions ? Or, can you skip the neutral wire, and just not show neutral on the display ? Also, is the display really bright enough to see in the daytime ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-LED-Universal-Digital-Gear-Indicator-Motorcycle-Display-Shift-Lever-Senso-/330733187259?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d013bf0bb&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I skipped hooking up the neutral and continued using the stock neutral light, kit indicator will always resetwhen you start from first gear and doesshow zero when in neutral when you first start bike, but after that it may show 1st gear when you do get in neutral, frankly its not a setup I find desireable. And it will show 6,7,8 gear if you keep on trying to get another upshift, but resets from 1st.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would be interested in knowing if you get this figured out. I would also like to have a gear indicator. I currently have the air rider volt gauge and air temp gauge in the key surround dash where the indicator would go. So I would like to place an indicator some where else on the bike and have seen and wondered the same thing about the one on ebay

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, it uses 1st as its reference. Yeah, that 6,7,8 thing doesn't sound too good, and would be easy to do since I'm always looking for 6th anyway. Thanks for the heads up. Think I'll take a closer look at the other type that uses the gear position switch.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hi everyone,

At one point there was a schematic for building a display for the gear selection. However, I can not find it listed anywhere. Does anyone have a working unit that they can send me the schematics for??

Thanks

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.