Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In the GL1100 is there any gear ratio differnce between the years? I have an 82 and it stuggles to get to 80mph. If there i a differnce, is it in the rear drive or the transmission gear box? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
imported post

Looks like some changes through out the production of the 1100s, also rear tires changed ...

1980/81 used 130/90-17 68H

1982/83 used 140/90-16 71H

:?

GL-1100 Gear Ratios:
Trans Primary

Trans Secondary
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
Final Drive

All 1980 / 81:

0.973 *

In 1982 looks like changes in3 & 4 & 5 & final drive ratios from 1980 / 81:

0.973 *

In 1983 looks like changes in TransSecondary & 1st gear ratios from 1982. Trans primary affects overall gearing likefinal drive ratio would.

0.897 *

Looks to me like the Trans Primary and 2nd gear ratios were the only unchanged ratios over the 4 years.

:waving:

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
imported post

82 and 83 do have a taller gear ratio but there is some other problem, it should run 80 with ease.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I want to get more speed and less RPM's. I currently get decent gas milage 46-49. The bike idles fine and the carbs are balanced. I'd swap out a rear drive from another year if it would be of any benefit.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Rumple wrote:
I want to get more speed and less RPM's.
Which would make it even more difficult to get to 80mph.:?
As Dave said you have other problems that need to be addressed.

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
imported post

The final drive ratio difference between the years is so little you would not be able to tell the difference. 80-81 is very slightly higher 3.09 vs. 3.10 for 82-83
A taller tire would make more difference, 90 vs. 80 aspect ratio.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

In my limited experience, there's a huge difference when you jump to the '83 models. I've driven an 81 and an 82, and owned 2 different 83's, which run lower rpms at highway speeds. I don't remember the numbers, but IIRC it's several hundred rpms.

BTW, if you're pulling 46 - 49 mpg, don't change a thing!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I don't believe there is actually any mechanical difference between the 3.09 ratio and the 3.1 ratio. I do believe that it is a typo at the factory. I did a spread sheet to determine how many teeth were needed on the ring gear and the pinion gear and for one of the ratios mentioned there is no combination of teeth that would create that ration. I don't remember which one it was but my conclusion was that the two numbers are actually the exact same ratio in the actual application. I agree that numerically they are both possible, but not mechanically. Changing the final drive won't accomplish anything. The fifth gear ratio will make some small difference. Changing the tire size will accomplish much more. Don't fit one that rubs on the swing arm or other parts.

As to the bike struggling to get to 80mph, that is not a gear ratio problem. Also the high miles per gallon is not indicative of a strong running engine. Look for something else that is keeping the top speed so low.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

The 1984 GL did have taller gearing. I had a 1982 1100 and it ran 3600 rpm at 60 mph. The 1984 runs 3000 rpm at 60 mpg. I don't believe the 4 years of 1100 had much of a difference in gear ratios. Your bike should get to 80 mph in reasonable time. The top recommended speed is 85 for the dressers and says so on the tank. Don't go any faster because that bike gets to squirming under you at any speed over 85.
Bobby
Bobby

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

BobbySp, I agree 85 or higher the bikes do get to be a handful past that. Honda did a wonderful job of designing a fairing with "lift". I changing my bike back to the standard it was when it rolled off the showroom floor in 82. Than I'm just going to put a simple windscreen on it. As for Lil Pete, enlighten us with what those other problems may be. Thank you

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
imported post

With what you describe; high gas mileage, and low power I would suspect a vacuum leak somewhere. which is creating a substantially lean mixture. I bet if you pay attention you'll notice your fan kicking in a lot.

I would check things like; the clamps on the intake boots make sure they are tight, check the vacuum line for the timing advance make sure one end or the other hasn't come off or that the line has dried out and split. There is a screw in the base of each intake runner make sure they are all there and tight. Make sure the crank case breather tube is secure on both ends. If you don't find anything there then it's time to maybe pull the intakes runners and inspect/replace the o-rings in the bases. Inspect the plenum seals maybe.

But I'm pretty sure yer getting extra air in the system somewhere.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
imported post

With what you describe; high gas mileage, and low power I would suspect a vacuum leak somewhere. which is creating a substantially lean mixture. I bet if you pay attention you'll notice your fan kicking in a lot.

I would check things like; the clamps on the intake boots make sure they are tight, check the vacuum line for the timing advance make sure one end or the other hasn't come off or that the line has dried out and split. There is a screw in the base of each intake runner make sure they are all there and tight. Make sure the crank case breather tube is secure on both ends. If you don't find anything there then it's time to maybe pull the intakes runners and inspect/replace the o-rings in the bases. Inspect the plenum seals maybe.

But I'm pretty sure yer getting extra air in the system somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.