Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

triking my goldwing 1200 i have a gearing question i am going to be running a 4:25 rear gear at the rearend. tires are 6.5 ft around on 17" wheels. my question is will i be able to take off with the trans gears i currently have 1st is 2.643 any help? i figured at 1000 rpms in 5th i'd be doing around 57mph.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I don't know what the final drive ratio is for a 1200 but an 1100 is 3.10. If the trike tires are close to the same diameter as the bike tires then the gearing will be off quite a bit. A search around some four wheel drive sites might reveal a calculator. I think the formula will look something like this:

old tire diameter/old final drive ratio = new tire diameter/new final drive ratio

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

final on the 84 1200 was 2:88 my tires are 17" but are about the same size in dia. thanks i'll look around.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Rear end ratio of 4.25 sounds much too high ... The stock GL1200 rearend is 2.83.. Your engine rpms would be much higher.. Here are my results (Actual Spreadsheet here to play with)

[Also, if you want to unlock the whole sheet so that you can change more than just the red and green cells, the password is GL1200 and that is upper case GL]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

yea i know i found a calculator last night and i'm screwed if i can't find some way to bring the rear gear closer to the 2.833. tires would have to be too tall i was thinking of some type of gear drive to go between the trans and rear end cause i can't find a ring gear and pinion for the rear end i'm using. may just have to cut it out and start over with a different rear end that i can get a matching gear set for. hate to but don't have much chose unless i can find a gear box that will work for me. nothing ventured nothing gained.:stumped:

Attachments

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I don't know what you are using, but buying a whole rear-end from a junk yard is proably cheaper than a ring and pinion..a cut downChevy S10 comes to mind..

except now that you have posted the pic, I can see you are farther than that..

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

looks good but it want go fast i'll have to change it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

no don't mind the redo i was just trying not to have to get the axles resplined as that can cost more than the rear end several time over as it stands i only have a few hundred in the whole conversion so still working on it. i would buy a ring gear but i can't find one very rare rear end to start with 1958 alfa romeo.:baffled:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Correct me if I'm wrong but with a ratio of 4.25 wouldn't you want to use smaller, shorter tires and rims than tall ones to get it to work?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Another gearbox will increase the inefficiencies. Many of the common Chevies and Fords have a 3.08 (or close) ratio that should work quite well and are probably pretty cheap and certainly easier to get parts for should you need them.

The trike looks good. Keep the pics coming.

·
Administrator
58,429 Posts
imported post

Nope Bagmaster, that would just make his problem even worse than it is. The 4.25 means the engine has to turn 4.25 times faster than the axle for a given wheel rpm.

A larger tire would reduce the effective axle ratio closer to the desired engine rpm for a given road speed. But as he already said, the required tire size would be monstrous.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

correct. 30" tall tires would give me a ground speed of 53 mph at 2100 rpm i could live with that but even at 30 in's the tries are too tall. i guess i'll just start over with another rear end i want have to scrap what i made just rewld up everything to the new rear end. anybody got a alfa ring gear laying around:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

If you use an S-10 rear end make sure it's the one from a v-6 4.3 because the ratio will be 3.73. If you use the 4cyl S-10 the ratio will be 4.10 and I think thatis what you are trying to avoid. Even the 2.8 v-6 will probably be geareds to low for you.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

i'm looking for a mustang 4 lug now as i have already purchased the wheels that happen to be 4 lug. still trying to figure out how i can use what i have. transmisson guy told me to use and old 3 speed and turn it around put it in between the motor and rear end and put it in second gear he said that would make everything ok? may give it a shot i can pick one of them up for about 30 bucks.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

oh by the way 373 will still be to high need more like a 300 or 290 as it had a 283

·
Administrator
58,429 Posts
imported post

skoto1 wrote:
..........transmisson guy told me to use and old 3 speed and turn it around put it in between the motor and rear end and put it in second gear he said that would make everything ok?
That would give you the option of a really low gear if you decide to climb some heavy hills with a trailer behind you :dude:

flip it into low gear, and you have instant over-drive.. :action:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

or filp it up into third and eat the desert up. may give it a shot. just have to make it a little shorter than stock. take the tail shaft off and saw the input shaft back some. it's worth a try. here goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.