Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there an easier way to tightening the collar on the end of the gear shift arm besides taking the exhaust covers off, gear shifter off, etc. Or is that the only way. I seem to have too much play right now at the outside of the gearshift arm.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the 1500, but on the 1100 I can get to mine with a short, I think 10mm, open end wrench.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Are you referring to the play in the long gear arm coming from the gearbox? They always have a lot of slop and thats just normal.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

This is a little beyond normal. I do know that there is a collar on the end of the shift arm (near the tranny itself), and it feels that has gotten a bit loose, as the sloop seems to be in the vertical direction which would coincide with the collar being loose. This collar attaches to the transmission gear change shaft. Was hoping for an easy fix besides taking the shields and tupperware off.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK, so I removed the carb cover, and rear side cover and using a 10mm socket (thanks Chuck) and a universal on a extension with a good light I was able to get it onto the bolt. It was already tight as it would go. So ended up taking off the exhaust covers after all, and found that the pinch collar was already tightened as far as it could be as there was no gab left in the collar. OK - that means one thing, buy a new gear shift arm. Oh well.:( But I"m not taking this one entirely off until I get the new one so I can keep riding.:action:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.