Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi! I have this problem as long as I have the bike, butit hadn't been happening often so I just didn't pay attention to it. However, yesterday it happened again and remembered me to ask about it. Here is the problem: when I want to engage the 1st gear from neutral position (the bike is staying in place, the engine is running), it will engage with no problems most times, but sometimes the gear lever will just stick in place doing nothing. Then I have to release the clutch lever and to pull it in again and after that the gear engages normal (at least so far). Something to worry about or just to keep ignoring it?

Thanks, Alex

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Sometimes the gears in the transmission are not lined up to engage. When you release the clutch and then pull it back in you spin the gears so they can line up. I have to do it a lot of times to engage first too. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Just don't try to force it in first or you could eventually damage the shifting fork....

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

I would say your clutch dis-engages better than most so the gears are completely stopped, most have enough drag to keep the gears spinning some so the dogs on the sliders will find the slots in the gears and go in. I would ignore it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've experienced that hang up several times with my bike and others. It's not uncommon with most motorcycles I've ridden over the years. Once in a rare while you might have to shift into second then go back down to first. It's not just a Goldwing thing.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Sometimes just changing the brand of oil your useing can fix lil things like that!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

yes pretty normal, you can fix this by adjusting the clutch, if it is too tight it will 100% disengage the gearbox you want it to disengage 98% so there will be a little force to spin the gears but not enough to move the bike forward. the gears will lineup and engage everytime

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Bob KF4GP is completely right on. It IS normal, you don't have ANYTHING to worry about, you ARE doing the right thing to let the clutch out and back in; then shift.
Enjoy your ride!!

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I always thought that itwas better for the gearbox if the clutch disengages 100%, so I hadalwaysadjusted the clutch cable pretty tight which resulted in breaking the cable once....but now I'll slack it a little! I'm glad that nothing with the gearbox is bad.

Thanks chaps! Alex

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I sometimes have the same trouble; changing oil has helped, also if I slip it into first just before the bike stops rolling it clicks right in.

Chuck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The New Owner wrote:
I always thought that itwas better for the gearbox if the clutch disengages 100%, so I hadalwaysadjusted the clutch cable pretty tight which resulted in breaking the cable once....but now I'll slack it a little! I'm glad that nothing with the gearbox is bad. Thanks chaps! Alex
No slack in the cable can result in wearing the clutch friction material because it can prevent the clutch plates from closing fully and slip.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

change the oil to Chevron Delow 15-40 and that will fix the shifting problem . I know ,I was their.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.