Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(hi all, after loseing the top off the pannier(saddle bag) last week this week the bikes playing up ,gearing down to first is a bit of a bu**er ,could the hydraulic clutch need bleeding? or is it worse than i thought....HELP!!! of all times to go wrong when we are getting some decent weather,bri,sunderland,england.;)

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Bleeding the clutch is the first thing to do in any case when you are having gear problems. You might be lucky and find it's fine afterwards.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

1200bikes wrote:
:(hi all, after loseing the top off the pannier(saddle bag) last week this week the bikes playing up ,gearing down to first is a bit of a bu**er ,could the hydraulic clutch need bleeding? or is it worse than i thought....HELP!!! of all times to go wrong when we are getting some decent weather,bri,sunderland,england.;)
1200bikes, (when the problem is happening) -- Start by placing the bike on it's center stand, place it in 2nd gear (engine running), then hold the hand clutch lever to the bar & see if you can stop the rear tire with your foot (be very careful doing that). If you can easily stop the rear tire then your clutch probably ISN'T the problem. If that rear tire wants to drive with a lot of force then suspect a clutch problem (or air in the hydraulic lines or cylinders)..

Have you done anything maintenance wise (like an oil change) or adjustment wise just prior to the problem showing up? If so let us know as maybe that has caused the problem.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

hi all,as it happens twisty funny you should say that about the oil,i checked the oil while i was in yorkshire and it was down ,so i put 10w/40w synthetic oil in ,only thing is i did this because the problem hadalready occured about an hour before,this made me think it was the oil being low but after topping the oil up the problem was still there all the way home (90mls) ,saying this i have noticed the gears a bit clunky for the last few months putting it down to the age and mileage (68,000) and of cause its a honda!!!the weathers changed to rain here (theres a suprise) so hopefully i will work on the bike this week.many thanks again to you all ,bri,sunderland,england.;)

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

1200bikes, if you practise matcing the road speed to the engine when you shift you will soon be able to make even the worst transmission shift like silk. It's a matter of getting acquainted with the rpm's sound and the feel of the speed of your bike as you shift. For example; you wouldn't place your bike in 1st gear at 70 MPH because the engine would rev too high and you wouldn't choose 5th gear at 5 MPH because the rev's would be too low. It's a matter of learning where the rev's are in each gear and then you preselect the rpm to match the gear you choose. Just takes practise. Rev the engine for downshifting and lower rpm's when upshifting.

If your clutch is releasing fully when the lever is in and you don't have warped clutch plates try the shifting technique I describe above and let us know how it works out for you.

Vic

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

If Bri was already getting normal shifting witout excessive clunking before this happened, then it won't be his riding style that is causing the clunking. I'd go wiuth the suggestion of bleeding the old fluid out with new stuff. Has to be worth a try.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200, he is bound to have a different driving style since he lost his pannier cover. He probably thinks his bike is junk since it's missing parts and his attitude might be one of anger so I'll beat up the bike (hopefully not.) I've seen this sort of thing happen before.

All I'mcontemplating is that losing the lid may have caused him to adopt a different driving style and he might not even realize it, but, maybe I'm digging too deep here and should stick to the mechanicals aspect only. LOL

Vic

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
It never hurts to drain old fluid and replenish with fresh.

Vic
always amazes me that people do not think of replacing hydraulic fluid on a regular basis... I have always periodically replaced the fluid.... just remember when you bleed the clutch DO NOT let the resevior go dry or you will have one heck of a time getting it re-primed

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:shock:hi all,lets start off by saying i have not changed my rideing style:cheeky1:,and second ive only had this wing 7mths and i was assured by the owner it was garage maintained so changeing the clutch fluid was the last thing i expected to do,saying that i am going to change the fluid in the system (without bleeding dry) i pray this is all my problem is ,anyway i will find time this week as the weather is c*ap (yes im in england),also jim if you read this check your in box ive sent 2 mails,many thanks all,bri,england.;)

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

And it can be tough on your wallet if you don't change brake fluid ocasionally because brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning that it draws moisture into itself and then that water initiates corrosion inside the braking systemthen the corroded parts need replacing.

Vic

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

and talking about moisture liveing in so called "great britain " theres nothing great about our moist weather:D:grinner:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

hi vic,soggy is an understatement,i vowed "not" to take my goldy out in the rain,if i did this i would not be rideing it very much:grinner:the insurance company would be giveing me money:grinner:;),bri,soggy G.B.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

;)hi vic,please forgive my ignorance,but,what the heck is microbiododaa?:grinner:i think this answera your question vic,bri.;)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

1200bikes wrote:
and talking about moisture liveing in so called "great britain " theres nothing great about our moist weather:D:grinner:
ah yes, but the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in san francisco

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

1200bikes wrote:
;)hi vic,please forgive my ignorance,but,what the heck is microbiododaa?:grinner:i think this answera your question vic,bri.;)

Sorry bout that 1200bikes. I should have explained that microsipes are the very small groves in tires that allow water to escape the tread surface of the tire. They help very much to prevent aquaplaning (tire skiing on the surface of water) and give much better traction on wet roads.

Vic

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

;)hi vic,when i thought about it i came to the conclusion about a tyre with extra thin slits to disperse the water(no im not trying to get out of it),"honest":goofygrin::grinner::goofygrin:and the answer is "no" i like to live dangerously ,i have avon tyres front and back which in all honesty do the job ;),many thanks vic and all on the best wing site IN THE WORLD!!!:waving:ta ta for now,bri,england.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Bri, I hope you get many enjoyable miles of riding pleasure from your Wing. You are right about this being the best Gold Wing site on the net and it's all because of people like you who make the experience here very enjoyable.

Cheers.

Vic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.