Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took part in a belt swap on a 78 Gl1000 the other day. It went smooth. Bang, bang, bang done.

I took the plastic lowers off the 85 Limited in about 15 minutes. Loosened the radiator as there is zero space to get an allen wrench between it and timing cover. Pulled radiator out. No, wait, I had to drain it first because the lower hose won't let it move.

Got the lower hose off and pulled the radiator out a little ways and now there is antifreeze everywhere, leaking from the top. I am thinking it is the expansion tube? I guess now I'll remove the seat and shelter to see if I can get at it. I hope I don't have to remove the fairing, but it looks like I am halfway there anyhow. I'll be surprised if I find new belts in there along with a recent date and mileage.

I am done for today. Now for a cold one. I'm gonna have a sugar free popsicle.

HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!

:)

·
21,838 Posts
imported post

Hi Johnny,

You won't have to pull the fairing but the shelter should come off to re-fill the radiator. Use Honda anti-freeze, but get it from your car dealer.

And be careful with those popsicles. They've been known to cause headaches worse than the ones you get from changing timing belts. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

agreed, you dont have to pull the fairing, nor the shelter actually. All you need to do is remove the filler piece by the handlebars, and use a long necked funnel. It does help to have small hands, but it can be done with the shelter on. With the LTD's the travel computer makes it a bit more challenging to remove the shelter, and get everything back operating when done....

good news is that the timing belts arent that hard to change once you get all the crap off to get to them. One thing to be careful of is the small rubber tube going from the water pump, over the timing covers to the metal tube on the top of the engine, this is a cooling water passage for the gizmo on the right side that controls idle speed, so dont kink, or break the tube, they are made of unobtainuim. dont ask how I know

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

naked has it advantages... I know, my shelter is off... lowers off.... bottom of radiator loose...

and there are still 3 bolts I cannot get loose to change a water pum

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am not worried about filling it up. I am just wondering what came loose up on top to spill coolant all over, and how am I gonna fix it (or see it). I'll get it eventually. I will be on vacation next week & I WANT TO GO TO TALEQUAH with the fellas. Thanks guys for the words of encouragement & wisdom. The good news is now I can polish the belt cover while its off.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
imported post

Hey John: On the 1200, the only connections at the top are the filler cap, overflow tube and the upper radiator hose. Sounds like you pulled the overflow tube off or loosened or cracked the upper hose.
See you on the 13th if not before. Tom

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it's just the rubber overflow hose got cut or popped off the radiator neck.

But if you broke the overflow nipple on the radiator neck, I got a spare radiator for sale. $10 plus shipping if you need it.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Tom, Thanks Ram, I appreciate that. I will let you know about the radiator in the near future, a day or two at most.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ScottInNV wrote:
One thing to be careful of is the small rubber tube going from the water pump, over the timing covers to the metal tube on the top of the engine, this is a cooling water passage for the gizmo on the right side that controls idle speed, so dont kink, or break the tube, they are made of unobtainuim. dont ask how I know
Scott, I will be careful, and I won't ask. I saw that and thought I would take off theengine guards to give a little extra room.

THANKS John

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Scott how did you replace yours? I didn't break mine, but it seems like it is getting hard and dried out. I don't know for sure but I'll bet it is getting brittle

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

You can use rubber fuel line. It wont be formed to shape, but it wont leak either. The steel tube can be replaced with a section of fuel line, and some fabricated clamps, if it goes south on you, but that is a chore you dont want to have to tackle. Forget about getting a replacement from Honda, Last I checked, they dont have any more of them, only the LTD and i think the SEI used them, so originals arent likely to be sourced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.