Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any suggestions on which type seat cushion is the better? I have a 98 GL1500SE with a stock seat. I weigh about 160 lbs and it doesn't take long for my behind and tail bone to get really uncomfortable. I have been looking at different ones and can't seem to come to a conclusion. Gel or air or? Sheep skin, vinyl, cloth covered? I figure I will have to spend $100+- to get something good.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Max T

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I tried out a couple aftermarket seats, and a couple different pads and ended up putting a new OEM seat with a Utopia backrest on my old '93. The new seat with fresh foam was a vast improvement. If your seat is in good condition it might be worth taking to an upholsterer for new foam.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

I am puzzled because I weigh about the same as you and I have always found the stock seat extremely comfortable, even on long rides. Wondering if you have given any thought to the way you sit on the bike? I tend to slouch most of the time, with brief periods of sitting up straight. Not saying I'm as fresh as a daisy after hours of riding, just that think the GL1500 seat is way, way more comfortable that most other motorcyle seats.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

What's the most miles/day you've done in a day with this bike?

Lots of times it's just a matter of breaking your butt in . Get out and do a couple of back to back 400+ mile days, if you're not used to putting onmore than 300mi/day.

I find a genuine sheepskin pelt works great. Let's 'things' breathe, keeping you cool when warm/hot, yet warm when cool/cold. Unlike a 'seat civer', it can easily be taken off and stored on the bike, if need be when you leave the bike unattended for a period of time, or when it's raining.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

I had a lot of trouble with monkey butt, tried sheepskins, cushions, foam, etc, all give a degree of comfort. my thoughts are that, monkey butt is caused by sweat, moisture, and heat.

I settled for the air Hawke cushion, they are pricey but I was desperate lol. they take a bit of fiddling, to get the air pressure right, but for me it works really well.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

First off thanks for all the input. I have come to the conclusion that my lower anatomy and the seat configuration are not compatible. I tried an experiment yesterday with bubble wrap. After trial and error and trimming I ended up with something similar to FM's bicycle tube relieving pressure points. Walla! comfort! I think I will buy a bike tube and experiment. My lady friend is a very good seamstress and if it works I will have her make a cover using automotive seat "cloth"upholstery. Cloth is cooler and will vent. I am riding with a side car so any rise in seat height will pose no problem for boots on ground.
I am in my mid 60's and no doubt my body has changed. I have ridden for the better part of 50 years so I guess now I'll have to cater more to my lower end. :)

Thanks to all,
Max T

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
imported post

I just picked this pad up off ebay a little big and some improvement for my fat butt !!!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.