Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went out this morning to hook up a charger to a new motorcycle with unknown age battery - I just touched the battery with the charger clamps and suddenly it started spewing acid! Hope the neighbors weren't watching as I ran out to grab a bucket of water in my bathrobe

Bike is a '75 GL1000. Battery is unknown make, label on bottom says YTX24HL-BS Gel. Battery is solid navy in color. Battery was discharged down to 10.9 this morning. Possible to likely it is 3-5 yrs old. Bike is sitting in unheated garage, ambient was around 32F. The charger was OFF, not plugged in. Battery resembles some Panasonic industrial batteries I have seen with no label.

I have the battery on the charger (away from the bike) and I went out to look at it a min ago... I noticed the cell cap strip was buckled up near where the leak was, and as I touched it another cap popped off - I am sure hydrogen whiffed out

so... am I the first person to have a gel battery leak liquid acid? I read the AGM batteries can leak if cracked, but having a battery puke acid for no reason is kind of scary. This could be a problem just starting to crop up since gel batteries in bikes just started becoming more common in the last 10 years

Any help or comment is appreciated

PS - Steve, thanks for working to improve the website... you are a blessing to those of us trying to keep our babies rolling

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

First, the battery started leaking (with a hissing sound so it was gas pressure driven) BEFORE I CONNECTED THE CHARGER TO THE POWER OUTLET. I can only guess it was pressurized and a slight tap when the clamp went onto the first terminal was all it took to make it "pop"

I am charging on a 2 amp setting - I read that you have to have at least 2 amp for fully discharged gel/AGM batteries...that is part of why they need a special charger.

I read on a post on the 'net that the acid gel can liquefy when gas bubbles up through it... this is a characteristic of thixotropic fluids. They go liquid when in motion, once still they act more like a solid. I guess it is possible a bubble of gas had lifted up the cap and pushed some acid out... but I want to know if this is common. Certainly in this forum we have dozens and dozens of owners of gel/AGM batteries and many of these have gotten old or been replaced... any story like this one out there?

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

If a battery is fully discharged it can freeze and crack.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

A quick Google search shows that this is a Yuasa battery, although there are also some Chinese knockoffs (ripoffs) being sold with the same part number.

I agree that it was likely under pressure and ready to pop, and just the bump of the charger clamps was enough to set it off. How long since it was last charged? Discharged batteries will freeze long before charged ones will.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I always remove the vent caps from all of the cells as a safety precaution and run the charger no longer than 24 hours, preferably out of the vehicle. A battery tender is designed to deliver a charge to the battery at a specific rate and to "maintain" the charge on the battery when not being used. Gel cell batteries are great for applications that have to be mounted in a lying (on its' side) position. I have an '03 Silverwing and it has a gel cell battery in it mounted on its' side. If it is old, maybe time for a new one. Never charge a frozen battery either, and don't put it on or near your woodstove to thaw it out. Seen that before, very ugly results. Seems that you have done your homework on the gel cell batteries, just thought that this should be said, not just for gell cells but for all batteries. Best of luck and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Just some quick follow up -

not sure of the freezing point of battery acid, but this bike was inside a closed garage when outside it barely got down to freezing - so I doubt it froze last night. For all I know it was frozen 2 weeks ago before I got it, but hard to imagine it got cold enough to affect it last night

the battery was discharged...that was the point of going out this morn to hook up the charger. Today it charged for 5-6 hrs @2A - voltage at last check was 12.83 and stable...meaning it is now holding a nice charge. It did burp up more acid while charging... and that ain't right

we need a battery tech to tell us what makes the acid go "gel" and how it could become "un-gel'ed" over time.

the battery code may be Yuasa, but those guys are pretty proud of their batteries... never saw one without their name on the side. This one is plain as an Amish farmer except for a small paper strip at the bottom

bottom line here is the gel battery has done something I did not think it could do... and I for one hate to think about it burping up acidonto my pretty baby perhaps when I am not standing there in my bathrobe with a bucket of water in hand

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

The Yuasa YTX24HL-BS runs dry so it can't leak. Must be one of the Chinese "equivalent". When you buy a genuine Yuasa of this type, all the acid is absorbed by the plates after initial filling, then the battery is ready to use and runs dry from that point on, so no chance of freezing a Yuasa. The reason I know this is I bought a Yuasa YTX24HL-BS last summer over the internet and the goofballs shipped it 2000 miles with no packing. A 15lb battery in it's yuasa box I got, added the acid to find the case leaked due to a crack, surprise. After the acid all absorbed into the plates except for the amount leaked out of the crack, the battery worked just fine and still does even with the cracked case. They sent me a new battery packed this time and I just save it for future use and use the damaged one. No help here for you, but just info. All batterys are not created equal. That's why Yuasa is $150 or more and some of these others are $75 or less.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Battery is still holding a charge - I am going to put it back on a trickle charger and see if it will puke acid again...inquiring minds want to know

also - FYI - a "AGM" battery uses a glass mat between lead plates, think of a sponge just dampened enough to be thoroughly wet, but not so wet it drips water. So referring to it as "dry" is not quite correct. The gel batteries (like this one) are filled with acid in a gel form -think ofit as"sulphuric flavored jello". Either way they SHOULD never leak if tipped over or during charging or even if the case is slightly cracked. Still, what is inside is dangerous if you get it on your skin so a little common sense is in order when dealing with these batteries.

Thanks again to all contributors to this thread

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

also - FYI - a "AGM" battery uses a glass mat between lead plates, think of a sponge just dampened enough to be thoroughly wet, but not so wet it drips water. So referring to it as "dry" is not quite correct. The gel batteries (like this one) are filled with acid in a gel form -think ofit as"sulphuric flavored jello". Either way they SHOULD never leak if tipped over or during charging or even if the case is slightly cracked. Still, what is inside is dangerous if you get it on your skin so a little common sense is in order when dealing with these batteries.

--------------------
Very good analogy, also these batteries can take a minimal charge only. The device that allows greater amp flow is a check valve built into the body to expel excess pressure if required, but if your battery is not an original the knock off maker would very likely ignore this protective device because of cost.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

From what I've read on the Yuasa website, you shouldn't be seeing any liquid/acid whatsoever. Personally, I would discard it, after checking if there is any warranty available of course. I think attempting to recharge it may be unwise at this point.

They do have a contact email on their website, best place for an answer to why this could happen. Keep us posted if you follow through with Yuasa.

Yuasa Batteries :: Cutaways with Features & Benefits

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/cutaways.asp?action=cutaway&id=1

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I did a google search (how did we ever figure anything out before google?) on "ytx24hl-bs gel" - I turned up several web pages showing that the battery definitely does NOT have to be a Yuasa, and that several companies have scarfed up the moniker for their Chinese knock-offs

I did see this website: http://www.septechnologies.biz/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=253 where you can buy this type of battery for less than $90. Unfortunately they seem to cloud the issue even worse by saying "Yes, this is a true AGM battery also known by some as Gel."

so, caveat emptor my friends...

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

If you have to buy a new battery which you most likely will... go with an AGM battery. The won't leak like Gel cells and they hold their charge a lot longer. You don't have to pay the price of an Odyssey. If you have and Advance Auto parts near buy, they have one for around $80.00. Wongmart sells them to.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

thanks! I do have an Advance nearby and I will check them out tomorrow

put the battery on a trickle charger earlier - checked it a min ago and it was bleeding acid out the top. It is as if someone took a std lead acid battery and plugged the overflow... the acid will find a way to escape if enough gas pressure is behind it

so despite holding a charge, this one is going to go away

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Well, you are not the only one this has happened to. I found this thread while trying to look it up...

I had an old Sonnenschein (German for Sunshine) lead-acid gelcell, similar to what the Gold Wing uses. I'd kept it around, charged monthly, for use after hurricanes as an emergency power source. I've had it about 4 years...

The last time I put it on to charge, I noticed a pool of liquid on top. I figured it was water from outside, where a sprinkler was hitting a nearby door that leaks like a sieve.

The smell present in the morning told me otherwise. It was an acid leak, and it had drooled down onto the plywood below. I cleaned it up with some baking soda and water, leading to some stinky foam, then got on the net to try to figure out why the electrolyte gel became liquid and got pushed out the vent caps!

I have seen what battery gel looks like, after splitting some electric scooter batteries wide open with a bad charger. Oops! This was nothing like the gel I'd seen before, it was just a slightly runny liquid that drooled down the side of the battery and soaked into the wood.

Weird...

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

I assume a small current limiting battery charger was used. It is possible to boil a battery if it is charged too rapidly. I fuse my batteries at 5 amps despite my trickle chargers limit to avoid damaging the device.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I was charging at 2.0 amps, on a 24 amp-hour battery. My charger is a Great Planes Electrifly Triton, which can be set to do any number of interesting things.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
wow how many amps did you injected to the battery with the charger? maybe it was chinese :
OK, let's forget about the leaking battery for just a minute. William_86, who IS that woman with you in the photo?????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.