Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Found a new battery with 545 CA for 5 seconds then it drops back to 250 amps. Thought this would be good for starting a old bike ( 81 GL 1100 ) . Anyone tried one like this ? Wont hurt anything will it ? I guess they use these on the custom built bikes .

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Whose selling it? Got a link to look at? Talk about spinning an old motor over on a cold morning, that would do the trick!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I wont have my battery for about a week , I can post more then . My brother order a few thru his shop from his batery supplier. The brand is odyssey , this might be the battery companyhttp://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545series.htm. They sound great hope they work. Im always thinking my bike is going to strand me in a place i cant push start.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Dakota Winger wrote:
Found a new battery with 545 CCA for 5 seconds then it drops back to 250 amps. Thought this would be good for starting a old bike ( 81 GL 1100 ) . Anyone tried one like this ? Wont hurt anything will it ? I guess they use these on the custom built bikes .
That is 545 PHCA NOT CCA ...... Big difference ..... The CCA is only 185

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Here's the one they recommend for the 1100's, 1200's, and the 1500's. It's got more power than the one you posted.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680mj.htm
  • 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
  • Short circuit current over 1800A
  • 17 amp hours
  • 25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
  • Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
  • With metal jacket
  • Length 7 1/4"
  • Width 3 1/8"
  • Height 6 5/8"
  • Weight 15.4 lb

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Here's the one they recommend for the 1100's, 1200's, and the 1500's. It's got more power than the one you posted.

• 17 amp hours
  • With metal jacket
  • Length 7 1/4"
  • Width 3 1/8"
  • Height 6 5/8"
  • Weight 15.4 lb
Thanks Bagmaster , changed my order . Good thing you were looking . Thanks again for the research .

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I use an Odyssey in my 1100. Works great. But as I stated in another thread, you can have a 1000 amps of cranking power but you'll only get what the solenoid and cables can deliver. All that cranking power will sit in the battery unused. Think of a garden hose flowing water. If you pinch it off the flow decreases. I upped the battery cable diameter along with a new solenoid. The amp hour rating and reserve capacity is what gives you the ability to crank for long periods.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

wing ding wrote:
I use an Odyssey in my 1100. Works great. But as I stated in another thread, you can have a 1000 amps of cranking power but you'll only get what the solenoid and cables can deliver. All that cranking power will sit in the battery unused. Think of a garden hose flowing water. If you pinch it off the flow decreases. I upped the battery cable diameter along with a new solenoid. The amp hour rating and reserve capacity is what gives you the ability to crank for long periods.
So you have better cranking power now ? My starter seems like it hits a dead spot and turns over slow at times . I was thinking this battery would solve that problem . Where did you get your cables and solenoid . Is your solenoid stock or aftermarket ? I would like to upgrade mine if this solves the starter issues .

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Don't forget the post adapters for that battery!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:

• 17 amp hours
  • With metal jacket
  • Length 7 1/4"
  • Width 3 1/8"
  • Height 6 5/8"
  • Weight 15.4 lb
Be careful with this battery if you have the 1500.

THe 1000, 1100, and 1200 can use the same battery with out modifications to the bike/batterybox. The 1500's battery is slightly shorter.

I compared the battery in my 86 GL1200A with my dads 1500I and not only is his battery shorter, but my battery would require the removal of his rubber damper in the bottom of his battery box at a minimum to get it to fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.