Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My butt hurts. I have a GL1100 and when I ride a long distance I get a sore butt. I have been looking into getting a seat pad and don't know what type to get. I read pros and cons for each type of pad. What have you tried and what do you use? Keep in mind I have more butt then most people.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes I have seen the combination and it seems that sheep skin offers breathability and gel officers cushioning. might be ideal but so many say gel doesn't work

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Where is the best place to get a sheepskin cover?
A real sheepskin cover.
I want to only cover the pillion seat.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
A real sheepskin cover.
From a real sheep maybe? Give Taffy a call, he lives in sheep country.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

Gene:waving:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Rudy wrote:
A real sheepskin cover.
From a real sheep maybe? Give Taffy a call, he lives in sheep country.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

Gene:waving:
I didn't want it soiled. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
imported post

I have a $9.95 gel pad that I got at Canadian Tire on sale with a sheepskin over it. I find it the ultimate in comfort. Like sitting on the couch.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
Yes I have seen the combination and it seems that sheep skin offers breathability and gel officers cushioning. might be ideal but so many say gel doesn't work
Some of the first gel pads were like those pads for shoes.....had liquid gel in them.....and was not quite made for constant use......the enclosure bladder would stretch out of shape and so on....

These ones are a solid gel....not a liquid. Kit

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
My butt hurts. I have a GL1100 and when I ride a long distance I get a sore butt. I have been looking into getting a seat pad and don't know what type to get. I read pros and cons for each type of pad. What have you tried and what do you use? Keep in mind I have more butt then most people.
Sheep skin On A Corbin Seat . Just bought it at americade this year . Not bad 4 hr ride , this will be the first sheep skin ( So far So good )

·
Just one of the guys
4,795 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
A real sheepskin cover.
The Wool Works near here sells full size sheepskins. I got mine a couple years ago for, I think, $40. Just cut it to fit. I had plenty to do both seats and enough left over for the passenger backrest. You should be able to find someplace similar in your area.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Ever saw these? A combination of gel and sheepskin. Motorcycle Gel Seat Pads, Cruiser Luggage and Covers Kit
I just got back from my first (long distance) ride. From Elkhart, IN to Standish, MI and back (around 520 miles) :shock:.

My butt hurts. My wife's butt hurts. I have got to look into these. I have a Corbin seat and I understand they're the best, but MAN do I hurt!

So, Question to the long riders... I'm going to do a Utah to Indiana trip in a couple of weeks and I'm taking 4 days to do it. What's the best advice to keep me from hating my bike (or my butt for that matter)at night when I lay in my tent going over the day in my mind?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

A buddy of mine was talking about an Air Hock? I don't know if that's correct or not. Has anybody heard of them? It has several air filled chambers from the way he described it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
A buddy of mine was talking about an Air Hock? I don't know if that's correct or not. Has anybody heard of them? It has several air filled chambers from the way he described it.

Jeff
Air Hawk......

I have one for my Triumph Speedmaster. I recently rode it for 270kms (averaged 80kms before having to stop) without the Air Hawk and could not wait to get off it. That night I fitted the Air Hawk, thenext day, I rode 450kms (in 130kms stints) and got off the bikewith the feeling I could have rode another couple of hundredkms.

The Air Hawk made the Speedmaster rideable over a reasonable distance...but that is what I bought the Wing for..........

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Well..... I've got some experience in the sore butt line!

Years ago, Red and I bought a sheepskin pelt from a local rancher and just threw it on our 1100..... worked like a charm; I cut it roughly to shape, and then sewed key rings to it for tie down points...... but I really didn't need them. It stayed by itself, covered both seats, and then when it rained, we simply pulled over and yanked the thing off, and stuffed it into a sidebag to keep it dry.

Years later, I got IKEA to sell meanother peltonline for my 1500. What a deal! Only cost $25 or so.... I tried that not too long ago, though, and for some reason, IKEA has made sheepskin pelts a store item only.... can't buy em' online anymore for some stupid reason.

For a few years, I had a usedTravelcade saddle that was so comfortable I didn't even think of pads, regardless of material....... And then I got my KLR with aSaddleman gel kit..... most comfortable seat I've ever had! The newgels areterrific!

Now, with my ST1300, I'm considering aseatpad. What to do? A simple pelt? A combination peltand gel? Or a purely gel pad........

Don't know yet..... but sheepskin and gel combo probably can't be beatregardless of price....

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I got one from this lady, Anyes de Laat
http://www.soulcomfortsheepskin.com/ She is based in Duncan BC but has a shop in Hillside Shopping Center in Victoria. I was considering getting one from IKEA in Richmond, but they don't sell it on line, Dusty Boots' suggested this to me recently but it would cost $70 return on the ferry so I bought it from her instead in a dark blue. I have yet to put some serious miles on it to test it's "rode worthiness", but I am delighted with the way it feels. I just got it for my seat. It's 16 inches from under the backrest to the tank. Her website is in US $, so for Canadian prices send her an email. She is just getting into motorcycle covers, so she doesn't have a link to them on her website.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

For ME, I love having a sheepskin underneath my butt. I can ride hundreds of miles, day in and day out without hating my stock seat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/sets/72157607169145552/show/

Somebody recently posted and included a link to a place that sells sheepskins at a very good price. I 'll dig around and see if I can find it again and post it here.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that you have to 'break your butt in', as well. This will take a few long distance rides and a 520 mile round trip barely qualifies, but string a few of those together and you'll get more comfortable being in the saddle for that long, especially with a 'skin'. My riding partner wondered why it took him so long 'to clue in' about their advantages.

Dusty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.