Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Mods, feel free (I know you will ;-) ) to move if this belongs in the tech. I figgered since it not an active project that perhaps here is better...

Ok, so the
is needing some work, its time to think about what all to do...

I have an 87 engine sitting here. Supposedly, its in the 30-40k miles range, compared to the 120k on the

The
is an 84.
YOU were to spend some time going over the 87 motor, in order to decide if YOU wanted to use it, what would you look at? Considering its on the floor, not in a bike.

I know the starter on the
would not mount, I need to get another. I have 87 carbs on the
already, so I know they would work. What else wont work, moving to the 87?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated...

If I do this, any one wanting an engine to rebuild can have the 84 for the cost of shipping, or if they want to pick it up... after I am done, of course...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

I didnt know there was a change in the starters . I do recall reading that there is a change in the Pulse generators ....one yr there on the rear of engine and another yr there on the front . So I would check that and be prepared to do the needed wiring extensions if this applies in your case .

I'd surely plan on the belts being changed .

I would pull the plugs . Roll the engine up so one bank is up in the air . Squirt some oil in the cylinders and let it set a bit . then repeat to the other side . Finally then crank the enging over by hand either from the crank end or the stator bolt . I would turn it slowly so you could feel if a valve has stuck and do not force any movement .

Hopefully this makes some sense .

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I thought the 86-87 wings had a larger stator housing and so the gas tank was recessed slightly (had an indentation) behind the stator to accommodate this. For this reason I think the later engines do not fit the earlier bikes for lack of clearance against the fuel tank.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thats the type of information I am looking for... thanks!!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

I would be interested in your old engine if you make the change. I would also be willing to assist with the change and any fab work needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.