Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know I'll get no sympathy, but I'm just griping to hear myself gripe.

I have five cars and six motorcycles, and it becomes a chore around here sometimes.

It seems everyone came up for an oil change all at the same time.
My wife and I both wanted to get away to the Mexico house for the Holidays (thus no garage time)
The airbox replacement on the Triumph Trophy is major disassembly/reassembly.
The rear tire on the GL-1200 was the easiest of the group. :) Yaaayyy
Each and every car and bike came up with some part it needed.
Nothing was easy. Everything had it's own special "twist".

As I write this I just spent a couple of good 8-hour days accomplishing much. I still have a couple of vehicles that need some stuff done, but compared to how my list has looked for the month of December, it's really down to a manageable level.

There - I feel better.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,716 Posts
imported post

I fixed all that Rusty,

1 car,
1 truck
2 bikes.

end of story

·
Premium Member
61,458 Posts
imported post

You're right my violin is playing

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

The thing to look at is, you did it yourself and you know it was done right. And if it was done wrong there is no one to blame but yourself. There are a lot of people out there that can't or won't do these things themself and I feel sorry for them.....

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

93Wing wrote:
The thing to look at is, you did it yourself and you know it was done right. And if it was done wrong there is no one to blame but yourself. There are a lot of people out there that can't or won't do these things themself and I feel sorry for them.....
There's much truth to that. I was sure pleased to take the rear off the GL-1200 myself, and look at the driven-flange with my own eyes to see the (lack of) wear on the parts.

I put the Moly60 on there with my own index finger and screwdriver. Had I taken it to the local shop maybe they would, and maybe not.

The airbox on the Trophy is such an obnoxious teardown (for an airfilter!!) that I took my time and double-checked everything. I found a couple of aged fuel lines that were moments away from leaking. Another shop might have rushed and missed those.

I'm glad I can do this stuff myself, and can drive any of these vehicles across our deserts without hesitation. I've had times when I couldn't do the work, and needed to take some of it to a shop, and each time hoped they'd do it correctly. Sometimes my wishes were met and sometimes not.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
That will be a hard sell.Even with good weather, RG might not want to take a bike with the Mrs out in the car.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Way to go...The pride of doing it your self is a good feeling...My wife's oldest brother got their parents 95 Areostar, when their dad passed away...He at that time drove for a "hot shot" company, so the mileage went up fast, plus there were places he had to park where a semi backed into the side olf it...Yet through all of the mileage and dings he was very anal about the maintenance on that drive train...For over 15 years and three trucks Charles hads been using the same place to get his oil changed...Had the oil changed in that little van drove it on a delievery, the engine oil light came on, he was like?????...Then before he could get onto the shoulder on the freeway, that engine seized up....

Had it towed back to that shop, the oil drain plug was missing????...New guy in the service bay had only put it in finger tight....Now most shops would have said "Tough" but this owner of that shop replaced that engine with a totally rebuild engine with a full warranty...Next oil change Charles came by my home with his oil and filters, once a month till that van got crushed in a loading dock...

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
93Wing wrote:
The airbox on the Trophy is such an obnoxious teardown (for an airfilter!!) that I took my time and double-checked everything. I found a couple of aged fuel lines that were moments away from leaking. Another shop might have rushed and missed those.

I'm glad I can do this stuff myself, and can drive any of these vehicles across our deserts without hesitation. I've had times when I couldn't do the work, and needed to take some of it to a shop, and each time hoped they'd do it correctly. Sometimes my wishes were met and sometimes not.

I'm the same way, if it's apart everything gets checked. I guess it goes back to ag planesI helped my dad work on as a kid. When the cowling came off everything was looked at,poked, checked and rechecked by dad at least twice. It may not have been the prettiest aircraft flying but you can bet it was mechanically sound. I still subscribe to that philosophy to this day. The car or bike may be dirty, grungy orfilthy for that matter but it will run and be safe for anyone that operates it. I am especially anal about the vehicles that my wife drives. God forbid she were to get hurt in a vehicle that broke down as a result of me not taking care and keeping it safe to drive. I will take some chances with my own safety but not with hers..........

And to be honest with you I don't trust most shops to do things right. I do my darndest to do all my own work. So far I have been able to do everything with my limited tools. I just have to be creative at times...... My wife just looks at me and says, how did you do that?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

93Wing wrote:
I am especially anal about the vehicles that my wife drives. God forbid she were to get hurt in a vehicle that broke down as a result of me not taking care and keeping it safe to drive. I will take some chances with my own safety but not with hers..........
Absolutely!! I can't tell you how much I double-checked before she drove our XJ6 to/from Phoenix with her mother along. (For those that don't understand the significance, there's nearly nothing between the two. It's desert and mostly inhospitable.)

If she's driving it it has my "double-gold seal of approval".

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

You are correct; no sympathy here-- but we sure are proud of you!:action:

Dubs

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
I know of one job that turned ok when you had it done by someone else.
As do I. In fact it turned out perfect!!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well if you want you could pay my air fare and then pay me hourly i'd come over and help of course room and board would be on you

lol :needahug:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

To a certain degree I hear ya. I have one car, two trucks , two bikes and two rental properties. At one time in the first marriage, I had eight cars and four rentals...

And the folks at work are always saying things like, "you're always working on something."

Did you have a chance to work on that MG any?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.