Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to motorcycle world.

I got 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 that I got from a friend. Was parked 3 years a go and never started since then but run fine when parked.

I don't know much about motorcycles but any suggestions on what to do what to replace/clean/rebuild before trying to start it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome ., see the tech. section and previous posts re: getting her back up after a long sit.
See the navigation help to find the answeres on this site.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Congrats on owning the best Goldwing ever built! Best to surf through the previous posts. You will find lots there. Generally speaking:

1. Check anything rubber: hoses, timing belts, vacuum lines, bushings, etc.
2. Drain & replace all fluids
3. Rewire the famous "3 yellow wires" from the stator (many posts here about that)
4. Look for corrosion on the frame crossover tube below the engine and around the center stand pivot.
5. Watch for fluid leaking from the weep hole in the water pump.
6. Remove the back wheel. Clean the spline and grease with moly grease.

7. Replace the "dogbone fuse" beside the battery with a more durable fuse holder

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

the very first thing to do is to remove the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand. I prefer to remove the belt cover and use a wrench on the bolt at the end of the crankshaft. listen carefully for any sound of metal hitting metal.If you hear anything that sounds like metal hitting metal or encounter a solid resistance STOP and find out what the problem is.

It's very common for the valves to stick. If a piston hits a valve it will bend the valve.

After that, change the oil with cheap oil and fill the cylinders with oil and let it sit for a few days. then turn it over at least 20 times by hand, drain the oil and replace it with good motorcycle oil, remove the air filter and try to start it.

it's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy.

if you see any gas dripping from anywhere stop and find the problem.

Once you know it will run then go through all of the systems, but there's no point in repairing things until you know the engine will run.

Steve

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Will try to do that sometimes this week and will post what the outcome is.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.