Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

College is starting Monday therefore, I am now force to ride my motorcycle to work and college. This semester will be about 880 miles per week again.

The only problem is the 3/4 mile dirt (sand) road I drive to get to work.

There are two sand pits that cars get stuck in, and my GW sinks in it.

It is like driving a motorcycle in snow, which I did with a dirtbike in the 1980's as kid.

Sand does get on my engine, piipes, wheels.

The main question is will this hurt my motorcyle? If so how? Please explain.

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
imported post

Park @ the end of the dirt/sand road.
Won't get sand on the bike and get some exercise by walking each work day!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

sle104 wrote:
Simple rinse with a garden hose once a week will work to keep the sand off
Yup ... make sure you hose it off good, as sand will trap moisture and promote rot (especially the seams on the swingarm) and can work past drive seals/0-rings/protective boots, just like it did on your dirt bikes.

Also, just like when riding your dirt bikes, keep in a lower gear and apply generous throttle when starting to sink, or the steering starts to 'shake it's head'. Any old dirt biker will know what I mean and what 'more gas' will do toraise up/lighten the front wheel in the deeper stuff. Just don't get too carried away with the 'more gas'. :action:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I wish I could park it and walk. But the bike would be trashed. The closest resident is 2 miles away from the road. I work for a vendor of Department of Juvenile Justice. AMIKIDS.org at location crossroads. We actually have coyotes, hogs, courgars that actually go thourgh our complex at night. The coyote have errie high pitch yep howl. I will keep washing it. Christian Motorcycle Association came out before Christmas. One guy droppe his harley twice in the sand pit on the dirt road.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

I would be worried about the transmission,and clutch thats a lot of taxing on the gears. Goldwings are tough but not that tough. just my 2cents

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Have you rode your wing thro this rode yet. If you have done so and not encountered major problems you should be good. I find a wing a handfull in very loose sand. If there ia a shoulder that has vegitaion on it that would be the place to ride stay away from the tire tracks of auto's
Wilf

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

Ever thought of getting some other bike to make this trip with....? It sounds to me that you will end up thrashing the gold wing if you ride it in that stuff.

Just a idea for you. I know that if it would be me, I would not want to beat the piss out of my wing like that.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I have a nighthawk. I am waiting for a startor and a soliniod for it, till then I have to ride my wing

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I have a nighthawk. I am waiting for a startor and a soliniod for it, till then I have to ride my wing

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

scrub it down good and get all the oily and greasy spots clean and dry so sand doesnt stick...and no beach parties on it at semester break

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I can't believe the sand can be good in the long run on the joints and bearings, but i don't think you have a choice

I know your problem,a Goldwing is a bitch in sand or gravel. When i moved to rual southeast Georgia, i had to serach for a house to buy ( and could afford ) on a paved road ( for the Wing ). Being from Maryland there where paved roads, real dirt, windy roads and hills, not so here.But taxes and real estate pices are great (plus i found my wife here )guess it's worth the trade.

Off my soapbox now !!!! Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.