Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife bought me a new Jacket liner for my B-day. I went today and bought the control to adjust it. How well does it work?

I'm ready to wireeverything to the bike tomorrow. Any suggestions or pictures of how and were to run the wiring for the easiest use?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My liner saved my bunns this morning. Was freezing on an early ride and the cold was coming right through my leather jacket. Stopped and put on the liner and then the jacket. Plugged it in and turned it on high till I got my body temp back up.

I use the pocket controller and have it tied to my handle bars just down from my clutch reservoir. I run the cable down to my left fairing pocket and then over to the battery for power. I hang the plug so it is just sticking out under my clutch cluster so it is easy to plug in and the wire does not drag around on the faux tank paint.

The one in the back for Mrs.Rudy is the mountable type and is mounted inside the left cubby door with the LED, knob and jack just under the left cubby door where most folks keep their rear headphone retaining clip.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

I have the Gerbings gloves, jacket liner, pants liner, dual temp control. I used the jacket liner and gloves this evening as the temp here dropped into the 50's. I was toasty warm! Wear only a light shirt under the Gerbings jacket liner and something to block the wind over the liner. I will be able to ride until there's ice on the road.

I wired the supply line directly to the battery. I removed the seat and ran the supply wire under the seat to the cross piece on the frame where the front of the seat is inserted. I tied the supply wire off there with a zip tie and left about 6" to 10" to hang out between the seat and the left side cover. My protective gear is a one piece suit. I clip the controller to the left side pocket of the suit. Just need to remember to plug it in the supply cord or disconnect it when getting on and off.

·
Pwhoever
3,160 Posts
imported post

On mine, I ran the battery harness from the battery up inside the right side false tank and near the gas door. To use it, I pop open the fuel door and pull it slightly out and close the fuel door. There is just enough flex so that works perfectly for me. Then I plug in the controller and clip the controller somewhere on my jacket.

And just like jlbc212 mentioned, wear a full shirt under the liner but not too thin or you could actually get burned from the heat. I usually will wear a long sleeve henley shirt or a even just a thermal long sleeve shirt.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

So just for clarity all of you come straight off the battery with the wiring? If that's the case it sounds like I will be toasty warm riding to work Monday morning.

I have new electric grips to replace my old ones to install as well. They are worn out to the point that the heating element is stating to show through the grips. Got my money out of the last pair.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

Come right off the battery but use the gerbing fuse in line. Can bring connector right up in front of seat. The controller can clip on your belt or jacket belt. Can also mount outlet in several panels once you get time.

Good idea given about wearing a long sleeve tee type shirt UNDER the liner. Keeps liner from getting soiled by being in contact with skin.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
imported post

I run direct off the battery, with in line fuse. The connector plug is secured to the passenger hand hold grip, left side of bike.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
My liner saved my bunns this morning. Was freezing on an early ride and the cold was coming right through my leather jacket.....
You mean it gets cold in Georgia? for some reason I expected Georgia to be one of the always warm states. :)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Rudy wrote:
My liner saved my bunns this morning. Was freezing on an early ride and the cold was coming right through my leather jacket.....
You mean it gets cold in Georgia? for some reason I expected Georgia to be one of the always warm states. :)
It does get into the 20's and teens F in the winter but this time I just under-dressed and waited too long to get something on until I was getting good and chilled.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

BACKON2 wrote:
Can the heated liners be used with the stock alternator. And if so how many liners.
Yes but just like a bank account you can't spend more than you get (for long).

If you don't have other large loads and your stock alternator is putting out as a new one will, you could easily add two heated jacket liners and gloves without too much problem but you may want to shut them off if running under 1500 RPM for very long since the stock alternator barely charges at all, at idle and with these loads you would easily be discharging.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well its a drizzly rainy day here in northern IL so I spent the afternoon in the garage working on the Wing. I removed my old worn out electric grips and installed new ones as well as wired my new harness for my jacket. I tested everything out and it all seems to work fine.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Gerbings, gloves and jacket liner, I love 'em! I made an aluminum bracket and mounted it using longer cap screws through the clutch perch clamp. The dual Gerbings controller clips onto the aluminum bracket making it very easy to change the controller setting. I put an o-ring under each controller knob so it wasn't so easy to turn. The extra friction makes it a lot easier to readjust the heat when wearing gloves. I strung the two conductor wire from the battery ( with a fuse at the battery) to the left cubby and brought out a female connector that lays alongside the DIN cable and connector for the headsets. I made up an extension cable from the controller cable that goes to my jacket and glvoes. I tried it with the controller attached to my jacket but found it awkward to adjust without having the controller solidly mounted. Now I can adjust it without taking my eyes off the road ahead.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
GWNorman wrote:
Rudy wrote:
It does get into the 20's and teens F in the winter but this time I just under-dressed and waited too long to get something on until I was getting good and chilled.

You, underdressed, now that's a site I'ld like to.........................on second thought, maybe I don't really wanna see that afterall. Being cold, is only a metal thing, right?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

luddy wrote:
Rudy wrote:
GWNorman wrote:
Rudy wrote:
You, underdressed, now that's a site I'ld like to.........................on second thought, maybe I don't really wanna see that afterall. Being cold, is only a metal thing, right?
Yes, being cold is a metal thing. I have parts in me that have never seen cold and when the parts around them start in complaining, I get the heat going one way or another.
And you are right me under dressed is not for the timid or weak, elderly or infants. :cool:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Seeing as I have an Aspencade, with no factory installed CB, I mounted my power outlet for my heated gear in the knockout panel where the CB usually resides, running the fused harness in behind the faux tank.
I mount the heat controller on the end of my Firecreek Tank Bag, closest to me, along with a 1' extension cord, so it's easy to see/regulate and I can get off the bike to fuel up, without 'unplugging'.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Seeing as I have an Aspencade, with no factory installed CB, I mounted my power outlet for my heated gear in the knockout panel where the CB usually resides, running the fused harness in behind the faux tank.
I mount the heat controller on the end of my Firecreek Tank Bag, closest to me, along with a 1' extension cord, so it's easy to see/regulate and I can get off the bike to fuel up, without 'unplugging'.

Dusty,

This is a great idea. I have an Interstate that doesn't have the air compressor controls, so I will mount my electrics here. Beats the zip tied connection hanging out from under the seat.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

As an added bonus, if you wired directly into the battery, get an adapter for a battery charger to plug into the Gerbing's supply cord.

Also, if you wired directly into the battery, don't forget to either unplug or turn off the controller when you turn off the ignition. Heated gear can run down a battery fairly quick, especially in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:

That's a really nice setup Dusty. Very clean. I only have the gloves right now but I'm looking to add the vest soon. Will the gloves connect directly to the vest?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

They will connect to a jacket liner(there are connections for the gloves in a 'pocket' hidden in each sleeve) but am pretty sure there are no such connections in a vest.

You'll need a special glove Y harnessto run your gloves. If you onlyhave a single heat troller, than you are only safely able to run one piece of heated gear at a time. You can cheat and buy a small splitter cable and plug each piece into it and then plug that into your single heat troller, but I've found that the different pieces of gear require different heat settings when run that way. Best to have a dual heat controller and plug each piece into it's own outlet. :?

Dusty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.