Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Friend of Bill W.
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the Gerbing dual controller for my coat and gloves. When I dismount the bike, I always look like a terrorist with the cables hanging down from the inside of my coat.

I usually reach up and pull the cords out of my coat and put the controller in my top box along with my gloves.

What I want to know is what do you do with the pulse controller when you are riding down the road. I am thinking of using Velcro and put it on the gas fill door.
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine is attached to the top of the clutch reservoir.
The rear one is the installed type and it is mounted in the bottom of the passenger cubby compartment.

Oops... not it isn't... it's mounted just ahead of the reservoir on top of the reservoir clamps with the adjuster facing and just touching the reservoir.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

My controller is in a leather case with a clip on it, so I just have it clipped to my tank bag.

Don'thave a tank bag you say? ..... Pity! :sadguy: :cheeky1: :cheeky1::cheeky1:

Some just stuff/clip the controller to their jacket pocket. :?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
304 Posts
imported post

I keep mine in my left fairing pocket
 

·
Friend of Bill W.
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
My controller is in a leather case with a clip on it, so I just have it clipped to my tank bag.

Don'thave a tank bag you say? ..... Pity! :sadguy: :cheeky1: :cheeky1::cheeky1:

Some just stuff/clip the controller to their jacket pocket. :?
Rub that tank bag in.... :) I am watching close for one of those. I could use the frame only....

I do stuff it in my coat pocket, but you can't adjust it very well when it is in your pocket. I had it hanging on a phone holder on my most recent trip, which allowed me to adjust the pulse charge, but if I was turning hard in a parking lot situation it would pull it off of the phone holder / ram on the brake handle.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

:laughing:Ya .... that tank bag is one great accessory! ;)

Larry, do you have a leather case for your controller?

They have a clip on the back of it,making it possible to clip it onto the outside of one of your riding jacket's pockets, still allowing access to it, for adjusting the temp. :coollep:





Dusty
 

·
Friend of Bill W.
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
:laughing:Ya .... that tank bag is one great accessory! ;)

Larry, do you have a leather case for your controller?

They have a clip on the back of it,making it possible to clip it onto the outside of one of your riding jacket's pockets, still allowing access to it, for adjusting the temp. :coollep:





Dusty
I tried that. Clumsy. I took the case off so that it would lay flat in the phone holder. I am going to put some Velcro on it and attache to the fuel door.

These are very small details of operation. I am just pleased as punch about my bike. Knock on wood, I bought this bike, changed the fluids, put in a fresh battery and I have now rolled for over 17,000 miles on her.

Very well pleased.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Instead of permanently attaching a chunk of Velcro to the bike which will only get used a couple of months out of a year, why not sew together some wide, heavy duty black elastic (or fabric), slip it over your fuel door and clip the controller to that? That way you can remove the elastic during the times it's not needed and won't have an unsightly chunk of Velcro staring up at ya! :?





Oh ya ... welcome to the Elite Touring Motorcycle. That's why I've been riding them since 1977/78. :cooler:
 

·
Friend of Bill W.
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Instead of permanently attaching a chunk of Velcro to the bike which will only get used a couple of months out of a year, why not sew together some wide, heavy duty black elastic (or fabric), slip it over your fuel door and clip the controller to that? That way you can remove the elastic during the times it's not needed and won't have an unsightly chunk of Velcro staring up at ya! :?





Oh ya ... welcome to the Elite Touring Motorcycle. That's why I've been riding them since 1977/78. :cooler:
Thanks for the excellent suggestion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
imported post

Dusty, we must think alike because I did what you just described. The only thing I did different is that I used a digital camera case I found at the "dollar" store. It is made of nylon and had a (belt)loop on the back. I cut a small hole in the bottom large enough to feed the controller cables through, coiled up the excess cable,secured by nylon wire ties and tucked the controller in the camera case. I used a nylon strap with quick disconnects to strap the case around the fuel door.
The case is secure and doesn't fall off. I has a velcro flap that I can open quickly and see the top of the controller to adjust as needed. It's location keeps the cables down low out of the way. So far I like it much better than the oem leather controller case.
 

·
Friend of Bill W.
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Arnotr2 wrote:
Dusty, we must think alike because I did what you just described. The only thing I did different is that I used a digital camera case I found at the "dollar" store. It is made of nylon and had a (belt)loop on the back. I cut a small hole in the bottom large enough to feed the controller cables through, coiled up the excess cable,secured by nylon wire ties and tucked the controller in the camera case. I used a nylon strap with quick disconnects to strap the case around the fuel door.
The case is secure and doesn't fall off. I has a velcro flap that I can open quickly and see the top of the controller to adjust as needed. It's location keeps the cables down low out of the way. So far I like it much better than the oem leather controller case.
This is great. Thank you for this excellent suggestion.

I already have the camera case and I will be hooking it up this way.
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,840 Posts
imported post

I have the leather pouch also and I just clip it onto my left coat pocket or coat belt. Easy to reach and out of the way.

John
 

·
Friend of Bill W.
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I have the leather pouch also and I just clip it onto my left coat pocket or coat belt. Easy to reach and out of the way.

John
I have done it this way but I have to lose some weight to be able to make an adjustment on the temp settings.

;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
imported post

I've got the dual controller velcro'd just below the shelter towards the front on the right side. Easy disconnect and out of the way.


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
imported post

I bought additional leads from the jacket to the controller so I can attach it to my tank bag when I use it or somewhere else around the handlebars. Just unplug the leads from the controller when I get off the bike. After getting the fairing installed, I will find a suitable place for the controller there. Love my Gerbings!

Dubs
 

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
imported post

I picked up several packages of Harbor Freight #67488 Rare Earth magnets and use them for everything. Stick them inside of small bags and can stick them to any metal panel. Glue some on the inside of a plastic panel and then the bag will stick to the plastic. That drives those who know the panel is plastic up a wall.

Only your imagination is the limit. Those things stick like heck. Just do not get your skin between them when they come together.

Another use is to make up battery packs when you need one. They will stick batterys together into series batteries. My remote camera release uses a very expensive battery so I soldered a couple of small wires to the contacts inside the camera unit and soldered a small piece of metal on the end of each wire. Just stick a magnet on each end of a AA and stick the wires to them (red for positive) and I do not have to worry about battery going dead for a long time and AA batteries are easy to get. Not as pretty as the expensive battery inside the case but I only have to please myself.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
267 Posts
imported post

I mounted four fixed Gerbing heat controllers to the front fairing right hand pocket hard lid cover as I dont use the pocket for storing stuff in. I also have a replacement covershould I need to restore the pocket to it's original factory state. I dont like modifying original parts unless I can restore it to factory original again. Just me I suppose!

The cable connectors which plug into the clothing exit the bike near the left hand side by the seat "The handle to lift the bike onto it's centre stand".

Everything neat & tidy. The actual controllers are mounted inside the right hand fairing pocket slot in the fairing itself wrapped up in plastic bags for waterproofing purposes and yes the original wiring loom is too short to do that hence I increased the wiring loom length to accomodate the installation.



Regards, Tony.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
imported post

I keep mine in my outer jacket pocket so I can just reach in my pocket and adjust the temp setting. Works good for me.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top