Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

That cold-blooded Golden Girl wants me to wire up a receptacle/connector so she can take her Gerbing jacket with her on our upcoming trip to Deal's Gap and points west "in case I get cold". Yes, folks she gets cold at the oddest times.

For example, a couple of years ago we were on our way to Mid Ohio for the Superbike races, when 1 hour into our trip, she made me stop so she could buy a couple of sweatshirts at a Walmart to keep warm. It was the 4th of July weekend. I was in shirtsleeves, and she was wearing 2 sweatshirts. Go figure.

The Gerbing website says the jacket draws 6.5A / 75 W. I show 14.5V from the alternator at idle, and goes up from there depending on load. Will our electrical system handle the load? I'm planning on wiring directly to the battery.

I'm too tired to try to do the math.

Thank you electrical wizards.

·
751 Posts
imported post

why on earth if you own a gl 1800 & gl1200 would you be taking the 1200 ??????also why would you second guess what a woman wants ? so better yet you take the bike & let her take the car !:cheeky1:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
why on earth if you own a gl 1800 & gl1200 would you be taking the 1200 ??????also why would you second guess what a woman wants ? so better yet you take the bike & let her take the car !:cheeky1:

Cloud 9 rides the 18 and Golden Girl the 1200.

As to your question, Cloud 9. It depends on how may electrical 'extras' she has on her bike?

I would get her either a Single Portable Heat Controller and the leather case(maybe the dual one in case she adds heated gloves later) or the permanately mounted one as they use less power, unless she has it cranked all the way up(unlikely).

When you have it hard wired directly to the battery with just the included harness you get with the jacket, it draws full amperage all the time. Then she will get tired of turning it on/off all the time, as she gets too hot, then too cool.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hummer, Dusty got it right. Golden Girls is a very active and competent rider, and has "graduated" from her Concours to the GL1200LTD. We're running down to Deal's Gap next week with another couple of bikes, and he wanted to ride something more "cushy"........she wants what she wants, I guess....

Dusty, she has the jacket, pants and socks with the single controller. he doesn't want the controller permanently wired to the bike, so she can switch over to the 1800 as needed. She usually sticks it in her pocket.

She doesn't have many other electrical appliances that he will be running, other than the factory stereo, and the cruise, at the same time. She does have some accessory lights mounted on the back, but we are probably not going to do much night riding.

I plan on going to Radio Shaft to pick up an outlet, and put a fuse in line with it directly to the battery. I'm only guessing we have enough capacity.

Thanks guys!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Let me give you a low power suggestion that my wife uses even though we have the power and the Gerbings.

She puts on her FrogToggs. With or without a sweatshirt underneath. Once the air stops, she warms up. And it breathes as well.

Try it. You might be surprised. And hey, its Green too. :cheeky1:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Usually, heated gear comes with a fused battery harness that connects to the battery and plugs into the jacket, gloves, etc. Just 'plug in' the newer heat controllers(such as the 1stone I linked to above) to that end of the harness, as the controllers are digital and they 'cycle' on and off. Slowly if on a low setting, faster when set on a higher/hotter setting, so unless she has it set to 'max' there is no 'steady' electrical draw, but rather an intermittent one, so it does give your stator a little bit of a chance to recover between 'cycles'. They are not like the older, rheostat type thermostats. If the jacket/harness has the old SAE type of connection, you can buy the conversion plug which allows you to connect it to the new coaxial plug

I plug the end of my portable heat controller into a BMW Style Plug Adaptor, which inturn plugs into a BMW Style Outlet that I installed in my fairing. Works great!

If herstator is pumping out the kind of amps while at idle that you claim, then she should be fine while riding. Might have to keep an eye on things while riding at night and in stop n go riding, if the fans kick in and brake lights/signals lit.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks, Dusty, exactly what I was after. And, Rudy's idea was a good one, too. We already have the Frogg Toggs.....

Out in Yellowstone a couple of years ago, we got caught in a snowstorm at The Old Faithful Inn on June 3rd. We had to keep riding, so she wore:
Long underwear
Jeans
Gerbing pants
Frogg Toggs
Turtleneck
Sweatshirt
Gerbing jacket
Leather jacket
Frogg Togg jacket
Ear muffs
Electric socks
Riding boots

...........You get the idea......and, she didn't complain about the cold! BUT, she needed help getting on and off the bike, because she couldn't bend any of her extremities! Luckily, we could get back to normal riding attire the next day in Ogden, UT. As he has stated before, "We don't have vacations, we have adventures!" Gotta love her!

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

you must have had empty saddle bags when she was in all that attire!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

The scariest part
"depends on how may electrical 'extras' she has on her bike?"

too funny

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

When is some company going to get smart and make a water (or fluid)thermo coupled heat suit for the GLs?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Mike Hirsh wrote:
you must have had empty saddle bags when she was in all that attire!
Pretty much, Mike. We had our Aluma trailer along with us for just such a contingency. We had taken extra jackets in the trailer (we use it for overflow) and used just about everything we brought with us. I remember flicking icicles off the windshield while going over the pass at Sale Lake.

Don't even ask me about the sustained 60 and 70MPH winds crossing Wyoming. We stopped for gas at Rawlins, and I asked the attendant it the wind ever stopped there. With a straight face he said, "Sure, twice a year, when it changes direction!"

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

LMAO, that's great. He must have been a salty old bird.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

I made my own jacket liner with instructions found....here of course.

This site is the best :)

Mine has a cig plug on it for now and no controls yet but that's coming when I change the plug to something else. I just had the cig plug laying around when I made it so I used it. Works great and I only have about $8 invested and an old jacket.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

When are Y'all going to be in East Tennessee? :clapper:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hey Big John. Be in Nashville Monday, then on to Deals Gap Tuesday and Wednesday, then back to Memphis, Hot Springs, Northern Arkansas, then home.

Will we ee you there?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.