Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, so in the reletively short amount of time I've been wrenching, I have come across some products that go above and beyond the others for making my machines look as well as they run.

First off, the paint:

I have found that the best way to clean the painted parts is either a wax-stripping carwash detergent, or liquid dish soap (Like dawn). The problem with the "Won't strip wax" cleaners, or the combo, wash and wax cleaners is that they don't do a dang bit of good, except to get the road grime off. You WANT to strip the wax off, because it reacts with the atmosphere to discolor, and turn dull. The combo wash-and-wax cleaners don't really do either very well.

After shining up, I have found that Meguiars "Tech Wax" does an absolutley amazing job of restoring finishes. It is super easy to apply, and is reasonably priced, at about $15us for 18 FlOz (532ml). You will probably only use 3-4 ml for your entire bike, so this bottle will last you for years to come.

For ultimate protection, however, nothing beats carnauba wax. It takes a bit of skill to get on, but will repel water like none other. If you use carnauba wax, you will need to strip it befre re-waxing, otherwise it will build up and discolor.

Next, the chrome:

Never-dull wadding is the easiest way to shine your chrome up. Easy to use, and great shine. Tear off a bit of wadding, rub it over freshly washed chrome, and buff off. For removing rust pits, I have been told that a wad of aluminum foil dipped in Coke, and used to scrub will work, but I've never had to try. (Keep it polished, and it'll never rust!)

Aluminum:

Mother knows best in this case. Mother's mag and aluminum polish. Using mothers, it is possible to take the most corroded, oxidised, and hideous aluminum pieces, and turn them into mirror-finished show peices that looks almost like chrome. (See attatchment.) An electric buffer works really well to take the pain off of your joints.

Keeping it shiny:

On my KZ, after polishing the aluminum, I sealed it with a product from "Por-15" called "Glisten PC". It goes right onto the bare aluminum, and will keep the elements off of the metal, permanently locking the polishing job in place.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Man that carnauba wax is the ticket. It WILL bead up the water like nothing else.Have not seen good carnauba wax paste for a while though.

What brand did you use?

Pat

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Mother's Pure carnauba wax seems to do a good job. They claim it is made from top-grade yellow.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Isn't Glisten PC a clearcoat (lacquer)? Can't find anything on the web now but I do remember reading something on another forum about it and you spray it on. Will it take the heat from the engine without lifting?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Reddy :waving: Please update your profile, complete the location slot and tell us where you live. :clapper: Your a member of this forum since the start and no one knows where you live. :stumped:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yes, it's a clearcoat. It's a 2-part prush-on coating that is very hard. It should be able to handle just about any temp that your engine will see. Currently, it's covering my other bike's clutch cover, sprocket cover, and forks.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.