Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a `77 GL1000 that has been sitting in a friend's garage for a few years. I convinced him to just give it to me in exchange for me restoring it and riding it, and him keeping the insurance and registration current on it.

He did a bunch of work to it before it was parked including new belts, cams, carbs gone through, etc. He had a $1500 bill at the dealership when it was all done.

The bike has 41,000 miles on it and I was able to get it running after fresh gas and a new battery. I rode it on the highway and then on some country lanes for only about 6 miles and now it is parked and I'm ready to change all the fluids and do whatever else should be done.

What should I be doing as far as checking and replacing fluids? What type of oil should I be using for the shaft drive, motor, etc?

It runs really rough and has very bad exhaust leaks, but he gave me a set of brand new custom straight pipes for it that need to be welded on. Tires seem to be in good shape with no cracking or dry rot.

Please tell me what needs to be done to get this thing running right and reliable.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

I'd tempoorarily plug the exhaust leaks with car body filler first to see what the engine sounds like. Balance the carbs and maybe run some carb cleanber through them to dissolve any muck, should improve the running. Good 20/50 oil in the sump, Honda TypeII coolant and standard gear oil for the diff and your standard DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid to finish.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Glad you got it going !

It's up to you if you want to clean the engine out you can put in a cheap 10w40 oil minus a pint and put in a pint of "MMO" Marvel Mystery Oil and run it easy for 150 mile shifting alot and then drain it and put in a good 10W40 Oil! Unless you live in 110 degrees, like Phoenix you really don't need 20W50 with a radiator bike!

Make sure the anti-freeze is "Silicate free" ther's alot info about it on this web site just use search (coolant or anti-freeze)!

A good 80w-90 gear oil will do fine, some guys run synthetic Oil and Syn Gear Oil, that works too!

Tires may have a slight flat spot from sitting, you'll know when you ride it!

Can get a exhaust gasket "Generic" from Napa or other place to maybe help that leak out, usually they just need tightening a little, not too much!

They may have gone through the carbs but have them out of Sync!?

Make sure your "Vacuume hoses are not off or loose or cracked (Vacuume advance etc)?

Make sure the air filter isn't clogged, may have been over looked?

Didn't mention if it has new plugs?

Make sure choke isn't sticking on a little!

Have fun Bro ! Pete:clapper:

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Check every piece of rubber, tires, hoses, lines, etc.

Check to make sure no plugs exist between the stator and the regulator.

Replace the brake fluid.

Replace the final drive oil.

Clean the goop out of the starter.

Spray some white lithium in all the cables.

Make sure they replaced the fuel filter when they did the carbs.

(I'll add more as I run into these problems myself! )

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies!

I know my way around cars, and have done just about everything such as rebuilt motors and rebuild carbs, but know almost nothing about bikes, especially street bikes.

What would be a good resource to locate all of these items I need to replace or check?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Olwing,

just for future references put these on your computer, ..just "Google" them,,,

( goldwing-world.com )

(mssproul.rutgers.edu/motorcycle/gwfaq.html )

(nakedgoldwings.com)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

hello olwing; Congrats on gettin the wing running! I too have an old [1975] gl1000. I think you've already found the best goldwing site out there for people willing to help out with whatever questions/problems you may have. there is a site called "Randakks cycle shack" this guy is all about 1000's and apparently knows them as well or better than anyone. has a page devoted to what your doing right now.however no personal corraspondance like you'll get right here. These guys here are great! take care and good luck finner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.