Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

$200 for teaching me something I've known to do for over 40 years! Just to pay $7 for a stamp on my license? What a rip-off and a joke. Just let me take the written exam, give me a road test....whatever. Don't ask me to pay $200 for a course that I don't need. If a state requires motorcycle endorsement that state should offer its own course instead of forcing you to shell out that kind of money to get your endorsement.

Sorry, brief rant over.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

I feel yer pain....I agree about the cost. On the flipside I had a good instructor who genuinely cared about what he was teaching, so I felt happy after taking the course. I may be mistaken, but in Texas you do not have to take the course if you want to just take the written and then the driving test at your local DPS office. If you do take and pass the course, then you do not have to take the driving portion of the test, just the written.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I took the Motorcycle Ohio course several years ago after a 40 year period of not riding. Great course, Great instructors, great weekend, super cost, $25.00, used their bike and fuel. Their letter of completion served as the riding part of the Ohio exam, took the written part and got the endorsement.
Bob

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

Michigan also offers the course for $25. Not much of a course but they supply the bikes. Have to wait a year to get in. I may be easier now to get in but I doubt it. I took a class at a Harley dealership in Marquette but paid a bundle for it. Best thing I could have done. Taught by an ex state cop that is retired and has been riding 40 + years. Taught lots of common sense stuff that I still use everyday. I was lucky to attend such a good class. I've been riding for 41 years and still learned a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I started riding about 2.5 years ago. I took the BRC course that the Navy paid for. The course was in Colorado. I looked up how much it would have cost me out of pocket and it was about $250, but we used their bikes and gas. The course included the written and riding tests so all I had to do was take their little completion slip to the DMV and get my endorsement. Since I was new to riding, it was well worth my time and had I paid for it, it would have been well worth the money too. However paying that much for what I would call a refresher course (you already know most of the stuff) is a bit high. Are you required to go through that course to get your endorsement in FL?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

When you were in the class did you happen to look at your fellow classmates? I looked at the other 18 that were in my class".......

I'm glad I share the road with 3 of them

I'm very glad they failed 3

And I'm glad my son was able to learn from a true professional, rather than me.....

The rest....????....... Let's just say I'm glad they live far away from me.

So maybe the training course is over rated for a few, it just right for others and not enough for most.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'm not disputing that there are those that require or need the course....that's obvious and goes without saying. Butrequiring experienced riders that could easily pass a road and written test to come out of pocket for such an amount is ridiculous. If you can demostrate proficiency at operating your bike to the satisfaction of the DMV, then you should be exempt from the class.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Yea, I agree, that's what we have here, road test at DMV or the class. Either way........, I agree, if you have years of legal riding experience, you shouldn't need it.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Not to start a flame war here, but, how do you have years of experience riding if you don't have a license endorsement? Been riding illegal for all those years?

Don't know you, and would not cast aspersions, but in my class we had an "experienced rider" who complained from the first minute of class how he was just doing this so he wouldn't have to put up with the DMV tester. Took all of 10 minutes on the course to see why he didn't want to take the DMV driving course. He couldn't keep that little 250 inside a four foot wide stripe for 10 feet! Complained it was the bike, the surface, the sun, the phase of the moon, worked late last night.......

Yeah, he failed the course test and we were all satisfied that he did.

I know you're not that guy! We wouldn't have him on this list!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Here's your answer .... simple enough if you think it through. I never said I didn't have the endorsement did I? And all those years were either dirt track or in states that did not require paying $200 for an endorsement. A simple written exam and/or road skills assessment was all that was required. So.... the short answer is I do not ride illegally as you infer. But hey, cast your aspersions as much as you want and be as wrong with your assumptions as you are.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

bcassel wrote:
in my class we had an "experienced rider" who complained from the first minute of class how he was just doing this so he wouldn't have to put up with the DMV tester. Took all of 10 minutes on the course to see why he didn't want to take the DMV driving course. He couldn't keep that little 250 inside a four foot wide stripe for 10 feet! Complained it was the bike, the surface, the sun, the phase of the moon, worked late last night.......

"phase of the moon".... I hate it when the gravitational pull of the moon pulls my bike to the side...

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

WOW! Florida is tough! :whip:

There's a couple ways to get an endorsement in Michigan:

1- If you move into Michigan and have an MC endorsement from another state, you get a the MC endorsement here.

2- If you are over 18 and a licensed cager, pass the written test and pass the $45 road test, you get the endorsement.

3- If you are a licensed cager, pass the written test and pass the $25 MSF 3-day class, you get an endorsement.

4- If you are a licensed cager and pass just the written test, you get a 180-day restricted "Learner's Permit"

5- If you are under 18 and a licensed cager, you must pass the $25 MSF course and the written test.

6- For all of the above, if you fail the $45 road test twice, you must pass the $25 MSF course

7- If you had a MC endorsement in the past but did not maintain it when renewing your cager license, you must retake the written test and pass either the road test or the MSF course, just like a newbie.

Yes, there is quite a wait list for the MSF course here. A $200 to $300 vendor-sponsored courses may or may NOT be substituted for the MSF course. Check with the Secretary of State for a list of certified vendors.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Poolguy!

As of Sept 1 2010, the Texas no longer offers the option to take the driving portion of the test at the local license bureau. ALL new MC license applicants MUST take the basic MC safety course. It's about $200 and in my opinion is entirely about generating revenue for the "state approved" vendors while alleviating the DPS from the "pesky" responsibility of dealing with the MC riders at all.

Gee... wouldn't it be great if we could all pass laws requiring that the public buy our products or be forced to use our services?

(BTW: Dood... I checked out your gallery and that is one very cool shop you have there... you're quite a wood worker.)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

The MC course is not a requirement in South Carolina; however, I took it because I knew they would give me a waiver for the DMV test. I freeze up at tests. I found the course very worthwhile. Although I have ridden before it was a good reminder. Some of the guys in our class had been riding for years but took the class because their wives were taking it. They were amazed at the bad habits they had picked up over the years and they were very glad they had taken the course. I do agree thatthe state should provide the course, but in SC, that would mean it would cost even more. Greedy little boogers.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Been riding bikes all my life, from mini bikes and dirt bikes when I was 9 to street bikes, to my 1200. I took the safe drivers course because I wanted my son to learn the right way, and I wanted to go through it with him. Here, it cost $150 because the state doesn't mandate it yet, when they do, Im sure it will go to $200. But I felt it was the best $150 I ever spent. I wouldn't be apposed if state made people repeat it every 5 years or so.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

us385south wrote:
Gee... wouldn't it be great if we could all pass laws requiring that the public buy our products or be forced to use our services?

Yup....someone had some strong lobbying presence going on for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

$200.00 does seem fairly high for a beginner course. I can see it going up towards that range for an advanced course though. I can understand your frustration for sure.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Here in Washington;
The course is $250+ and run by private companies. The DMV here subsidizes X amount each year so you can take the course for $125. Successful completion meets requirements for the written and driving tests.

You also have the option of taking the written and driving test at the DMV on your own.

An instruction permit here allows you to ride during daylight hours.

I took the course and I'm happy I did. I had the endorsement years ago but didn't transfer it when I moved out of state and then back. Stupid on my part. I went many years without riding so I never needed it. Then, the voices in my head told me I needed a Goldwing. I felt the class would be a good learning experience, and it was, as well as a way to get my endorsement again. If you go into it looking to learn you will. If you go in knowing everything already the moon phase will get you every time.

One thing I tell the guys at work with CDL's is never give up you license or an endorsement. Beg, borrow or steal the money and don't be late. Many states are requiring you to take all the tests, and jump through all the hoops from scratch. That also applies if you've had your license suspended or revoked.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

In Virginia, it is also a choice. You can take the test through the DMV, written and road test. Oryou have option of taking the beginners course. If you pass that, the written test and the road test are waived.

But the choice is yours.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Got my license (endorsement?) in 1973.

Took it on my grandfathers 350 Honda.

Then went out and bought my own.

Have pretty much ridden ever since.

Took a short spell off as the kids aged, but very short.

Didn't cost anything when I got mine.

Times change, I guess.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.