Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Couple of nutball friends of mine are going "off-roading" today in the mountains near Leavenworth, and they invited me to go with them on ol' Klatterbox, my KLR 650.......

Back tire was at 5K plus and looking thin, so I decided to spoon it off and put on a new one.... Shinko 244 @ $45 dollars a pop..... 6K is about all you can get out of these knobbies, but at such a low price, what the heck....

Didn't take that long to do, although I got to exercise my cuss vocabulary a couple of times; since they are tube tires, my biggest issue is threading the tube valve through the hole....like dating a high school cheerleader in the fifties...so close, but so far! I finally taped a tough twine to the valve and wiggled it through, cussing like a sailor.

Nice thing about doing your own stuff? You can do when you want without having to worry about the shop's schedule.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
.like dating a high school cheerleader in the fifties...so close, but so far!
Apparently you weren't the star quarterback eh :cool:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
.like dating a high school cheerleader in the fifties...so close, but so far!
Apparently you weren't the star quarterback eh :cool:
Star halfback, end.....but it didn't do me any good. It was only an eight-man football school.....

Well, I got the Klatterbox to the top of Chumstick Mountain! Only dropped the damned thing once! Which is pretty good since most people my age are dead already!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Don't have any pictures yet, but I may tomorrow....forgot my camera! You wouldn't believe the roads we rode to get there! Just about wet my seat.......

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Which is pretty good since most people my age are dead already!

You wouldn't believe the roads we rode to get there! Just about wet my seat.......
Is this a result of the previous statement? Because if you don't have pictures it didn't happen.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
my biggest issue is threading the tube valve through the hole....like dating a high school cheerleader in the fifties...so close, but so far!
That there is funny.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
~ since they are tube tires, my biggest issue is threading the tube valve through the hole....like dating a high school cheerleader in the fifties...so close, but so far! I finally taped a tough twine to the valve and wiggled it through, cussing like a sailor. ~
If I understand the issue correctly..."there's a tool for that"! I've had one since the late sixties, and it works quite well for me... If I misunderstood, please ignore this message... :waving:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tire-Valve-Stem-Core-Install-Removal-Tool-Puller-8-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c19996f48QQitemZ120688570184QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
....like dating a high school cheerleader in the fifties...

I think if Red knew you were dating a cheerleader in your fifties ..... well it might just be too gruesome to describe.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Changing the tube type tires on a dirt/dual sport bike is so easy it can almost be done without tools, as long as you have mounting lube. I am constantly having to do it on my XT225. I carry 2 spare back tubes and 1 spare front tube with me at all times.

Tubeless tires are considerably more difficult, because the bead fits a LOT tighter, and the sidewall is a LOT stiffer.

I used to have an '01 KLR650, and the very first modification I made to it was to install a centerstand from Dual Star. I also have a custom centerstand on my XT225.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Okay, you Doubting Thomases........ it did happen, because I got my friend to let me copy his pictures...... (all photos, Fred Dunham)

Here's old "your's truly," Cousin Jack, holding up a pair of cheap waterproof trousers in disgust...that he had forgotten he had in his ammo box panniers, and which he had discovered accidentally, after freezing his a** off getting up there! The hill is Chumstick Mountain, by the way....

I get in the trousers while everyone else is laughing their a***s off.....

This is a high, high place, and one of the most difficult dual sport rides I've done.....

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

Speaking of tires...............I am proud to say that riding my 1300 VTX, it's hard to get 7000 miles out of my rear tire. I've tried Brickstones and Dulop, neather did the job, sometimes only 5,000 miles. Well someone said run 41 psi and see, I clocked over 8200 miles on the trip to Nassir 4 and the tires are still on. nuff said! I don't know if hitting the guardrail on one of the accident helped or hitting the deer on the other had anything to do with it, but I was really suprised at what air pressure has done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.