Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be leaving Labor Day morning for the Gatlinburg. My neighbor and his wife and me and Vic will going together. He has a motor home we will travel out there in and pull a fully enclosed trailer with the wings in it.

We will stay in RV park somewhere up there and ride the Wings everyday in mountains.

Neighbor said we would have ride deal gap road. I have watched some video's of that on computer and it looks scary. We will see how that goes.

Any places in particular you all have been to there let me know. This is my first trip out there.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
There are some really nice riding roads in the area . Deals Gap /Dragons Tail shouldnt scare you , the road I mean . Dont push the speed limit and its a good . To me the scary part was the oncoming traffic or faster then speed limit traffic pushing- passing you . That ride is hyped up because its become commercialized . There are other roads that are nicer . One I'd recommend is the Cherohala Parkway . If you enjoy seeing older bikes/history , you may want to spend a day trip to" Wheels Thru Time" in Maggie valley . Enjoy your trip .

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are some really nice riding roads in the area . Deals Gap /Dragons Tail shouldnt scare you , the road I mean . Dont push the speed limit and its a good . To me the scary part was the oncoming traffic or faster then speed limit traffic pushing- passing you . That ride is hyped up because its become commercialized . There are other roads that are nicer . One I'd recommend is the Cherohala Parkway . If you enjoy seeing older bikes/history , you may want to spend a day trip to" Wheels Thru Time" in Maggie valley . Enjoy your trip .
Thanks Mike i will check that out and i appreciate the advice on dragon tail

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Hopefully you can view these and print them out, there are tons of good places in that area!

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just did this trip in May for my first time. I am new on a Goldwing and this trip was my way to experience the bike. The Dragons Tail was not difficult and the Cherohala scared me more, but its a must do road! The corners were not labeled and some were blind bends. Nothing bad, but I had to question my speed a few times. Sport bikes will fly right by you on the Cherohala.
Must do roads are the Little River Road, Cades Cove, Foothills Parkway, 441 between Gatlinburg and Cherokee. I wandered the whole area in two days with 1900 miles logged on trip. I ended up randomly taking roads and found the Fontana Dam. Beautiful park to relax there and peaceful with little tourist traffic. 17 miles off the common path of everyone and the DAM Gas Station was closing because of no traffic! Check out these maps and links off this site. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
With the 120 Mile Cherohala/Dragon Loop, be sure to take the Moonshiner Loop!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
All the roads mentioned are excellent and definitely "must-see's".

One addition I'd suggest is if you get to Cherokee, hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway for awhile. It terminates there and is well worth a ride.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

You can get maps and info on this site.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely check out as many of them as I can. My neighbor has been there 3 or 4 times on his Wing and probably has some of those picked out for us ride.
I think it will be a great trip and am looking forward to it.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
We will be leaving Eureka Springs on Labor Day and heading to Tellico Plains,TN to Hunts Motorcycle Campground. Maybe we'll see ya on the Dragon. Hope to be there riding on Wednesday. :waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.