Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my bike out after not running it for three years. I know the battery will have to be replaced, that is a given. When I put it away the rear brakes were getting quite soft, not spongy but soft to the point that I was having very little brake with the pedal almost to the floorboard. I do not have a space to work on it myself so I will be taking it somewhere to get the work done.

From what I have read my rear master cylinder likely needs to be rebuilt. Is there a slave cylinder as well? Also I am thinking of getting the brake hoses and clutch hose changed out. Would this be worth doing or just get them to do a flush and bleed? I have had to bleed my clutch line every spring and the gasket is always swollen and needs to be replaced so I am thinking that the brake might be the same way. Water in the system?

I am also thinking of getting the timing belts changed. I have had the bike for five years and they were not changed by the previous owner so I am unsure if they have been done. I have around 30k Km on the bike that I can remember.

Anything else besides an oil change I should be looking at?

Thanks
Shawn

·
Administrator
25,753 Posts
You should see about getting it running first, 3 years sitting the carbs are probably gummed up & unless you stored it full of gas the tank may be rusty. Try flushing the brakes first, they may be OK and maybe not depending on how long the fluid has been in it. Last but not least the timing belts do need to be changed.
Don't know what gasket you could be having to change in the clutch system.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Getting the bike ready to ride is one thing.......getting you ready to ride is another (unless you been riding in the mean time). Take it easy on the first couple of rides.....!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
After a 6 year hiatus from riding, the first couple of 150 -200 mile trips were a little rough on both mind and body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts